Welcome to our forums.

Walking solo

Friends of mine recently walked Hadrian’s Wall – possibly not a great idea in a British winter, but worth bearing in mind for next year.

We have some wonderful long distance paths – and I’m sure there are companies that help my taking your luggage on ahead for you if you don’t want to lug it. The South-West Coast path is magnificent; Simon Armitage has written a lovely book about his walk along the Pennine Way; there’s always the Ridgeway and the South Downs way for those of us in the Home Counties who don’t want to stray too far.

Fossil wrote:

a long way from Las Vegas £StanleyJ

Oh, the joys of World Wide Wandering – not to mention worldwide travel!

Thats a long way from Las Vegas @£StanleyJ

London

I also need recommendations on my solo walk through Provence.

Welcome @Anniem to our Silver Travel Forum – we hope that you enjoy being part of our friendly group of Silver Travellers. Please feel free to contact one of the moderators if you have any queries about using the Forum.

Essex UK

Look at doing the Camino – can be started from many parts of Europe but ends in Compostella. There are a lot of routes that do the last 100K. You can stop off in hotels or hostels and you can also arrange luggage transfer between stops. Lots of other will be doing the routes – especially the last 100K and you meet up with interesting people.

Stockport

We passed may pilgrims while on the coach between La Coruna and Santiago de Compostela.

A lovely place to visit particularly the Cathedral…

Last Edited by Solent_Richard at 03 Jul 08:37

Ah, Santiago de Compostela.

Also good to do on a ship’s excursion from La Coruna…

Last Edited by Solent_Richard at 03 Jul 08:31

If you don’t want to travel too far, a popular walk in Spain is the Santiago de Compostela route.

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

If you want to walk with a group – I’d suggest looking at Ramblers or Explore – years ago, I went with both. Explore groups tend to be younger (a huge generalisation) – both go to some interesting places.

I travel alone – it’s generally fairly easy to find a guide to go up mountains if you need one (walking up mountains on your own is, generally, not a great idea). So if you want to work it out do yourself, you can always buy a flight and hotel to, for instance, Kathmandu, – there are plenty of travel agents there if you want to do one of th big treks.

11 Posts
Sign in to add your message