Welcome to our forums.

Reluctant Solo Traveller

Yes some of them are pricy but the Yoga one is about average compared with the ones I have been on in the hills of Southern Spain and the ones that were run by one of my yoga teachers this year to Sri Lanka and Kerala.

London

Thanks for finding the link, Steve – and yes, they are pricey. But I tend to look at options like this and then work out if I can do it cheaper by sorting it all myself.

Interesting options, but, personally, I thought them all quite pricey.

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

@JoCarroll wrote:

I can’t find a way of getting the link

Is this the article you were thinking of Jo?

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2018/jun/30/20-best-trips-solo-travellers-travel-alone-froup-trips-worldwide

Essex UK

There’s an article in The Guardian today, about the best solo holidays around at the moment – not aimed particularly at silver travellers, but recognising some of the joys at challenges of travelling alone. I can’t find a way of getting the link, but if you go to The Guardian website, click the little lines top right that gives you a list of topics, scroll down to travel … and you’ll find it. (Maybe someone cleverer than me can find a way to sort the link – I have the app, which might be the problem. Who knows!)

Welcome @Lyspa to our Silver Travel Forum – we hope that you enjoy being part of our friendly group of Silver Travellers. Please feel free to contact one of the moderators if you have any queries about using the Forum.

Essex UK

Well done, @Lyspa – your next jaunt will be easier. Best of luck!

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

@Lyspa – you can do it! It’s great to take first steps somewhere you know – and that will show you that it’s fine, once you get over the ‘can I really do this’ bit.

Lyspa wrote:

I love the sun it eases my aches and pains.My husband reluctantly accompanied me despite his disliking foreign travel and having various health issues.
We have now come to the conclusion that I will travel alone.
I had a trial run, I met my sister in Tenerife. It served its purpose. I am nervous about solo travel but I now know I can do it. I will stick with places I know and like i.e. Crete either Sissi Bay a small friendly resort or Maleme near Chania another area I know then
If the holiday goes well, perhaps then I can spread my wings, albeit nervously.

Good morning @Lyspa

I too love the sun hence why we head for Thailand every year though we have in the past spent two very pleasant fortnights on Crete and a single two weeks on Cefelonia at the delightful fishing village of Fiscardo.

It’s always a shame when one’s husband/ wife doesn’t like travelling: I’m very lucky in that respect and we love being together on holiday.

Having said that of course I did do an extended ‘Silver backpacker’ tour of Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia to fulfil a life’s dream. That was solo and lasted 6 months.

I never had any inhibitions and being blessed with confidence I had a wonderful adventure…

Last Edited by Solent_Richard at 13 Jun 08:16

I love the sun it eases my aches and pains.My husband reluctantly accompanied me despite his disliking foreign travel and having various health issues.
We have now come to the conclusion that I will travel alone.
I had a trial run, I met my sister in Tenerife. It served its purpose. I am nervous about solo travel but I now know I can do it. I will stick with places I know and like i.e. Crete either Sissi Bay a small friendly resort or Maleme near Chania another area I know then
If the holiday goes well, perhaps then I can spread my wings, albeit nervously.

Sign in to add your message