Welcome to our forums.

Reluctant Solo Traveller

Welcome @Lyspa to our Silver Travel Forum – we hope that you enjoy being part of our friendly group of Silver Travellers. Please feel free to contact one of the moderators if you have any queries about using the Forum.

Essex UK

Well done, @Lyspa – your next jaunt will be easier. Best of luck!

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

@Lyspa – you can do it! It’s great to take first steps somewhere you know – and that will show you that it’s fine, once you get over the ‘can I really do this’ bit.

Lyspa wrote:

I love the sun it eases my aches and pains.My husband reluctantly accompanied me despite his disliking foreign travel and having various health issues.
We have now come to the conclusion that I will travel alone.
I had a trial run, I met my sister in Tenerife. It served its purpose. I am nervous about solo travel but I now know I can do it. I will stick with places I know and like i.e. Crete either Sissi Bay a small friendly resort or Maleme near Chania another area I know then
If the holiday goes well, perhaps then I can spread my wings, albeit nervously.

Good morning @Lyspa

I too love the sun hence why we head for Thailand every year though we have in the past spent two very pleasant fortnights on Crete and a single two weeks on Cefelonia at the delightful fishing village of Fiscardo.

It’s always a shame when one’s husband/ wife doesn’t like travelling: I’m very lucky in that respect and we love being together on holiday.

Having said that of course I did do an extended ‘Silver backpacker’ tour of Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia to fulfil a life’s dream. That was solo and lasted 6 months.

I never had any inhibitions and being blessed with confidence I had a wonderful adventure…

Last Edited by Solent_Richard at 13 Jun 08:16

I love the sun it eases my aches and pains.My husband reluctantly accompanied me despite his disliking foreign travel and having various health issues.
We have now come to the conclusion that I will travel alone.
I had a trial run, I met my sister in Tenerife. It served its purpose. I am nervous about solo travel but I now know I can do it. I will stick with places I know and like i.e. Crete either Sissi Bay a small friendly resort or Maleme near Chania another area I know then
If the holiday goes well, perhaps then I can spread my wings, albeit nervously.

These messages have given me a bit of encouragement as I have often thought of trying a cruise but didn’t fancy it alone. Might actually book one now!

Oh……..thanks for updating this information.

Have you considered cruising SilversurferLyn, I found myself in exactly your position, since being widowed, I had many holidays either friends or family, then the day came where it was go alone or not at all. I tried cruising this year and really joyed it, you do not feel alone. The problem is single supplement occupancy, it bugs me paying so much, then I think do it whilst you can, who knows what the future brings.

Sutton coldfield

Thank you all for replying to my post. You have certainly given me hope to move forward and try finding new travel companions and, who knows, maybe take the plunge and try solo :-O :-)

Leicestershire

Welcome, @SilverSurferLyn

I’m sorry life has been to tough for you. I travel alone all the time – I was widowed in my mid-40s and all my friends had families, so it was travel alone or sit by my fireside and grumble. It is hard at first – but well worth making that initial effort. I’m sure people here will suggest travel groups that make it easier (I do it all myself) – and can assure you’ve taken one of the hardest steps – you’ve identified the problem and want to do something about it. The very best of luck – let us know how you get on.

13 Posts
Sign in to add your message