Welcome to our forums.

Silver Travel Book Club - Book of the Month - September 2017

Many, many thanks – the book has arrived and is next on my reading list!!

Well done to the two winners

Essex UK

Congratulations to @Silvertravellerfan and @JoCarroll, the lucky winners of The Silver Travel Book Club monthly competition for September.

A copy of ‘Bonfire of the Vanities’ by Tom Wolfe has been sent out to you, and we hope you’re enjoying a literary escape to The Big Apple.

I’m looking forward to hearing on this Forum thread what you think of the novel, and of 1980s Master of the Universe Sherman McCoy.

Happy reading.

Andrew

Thanks @discerning-traveller for suggesting Victoria Hislop’s The Sunrise, set in Cyprus. Definitely one for the Silver Travel Book Club pipeline @Debbie

“She writes about fictional families but uses historical facts”. Absolutely. I haven’t read it yet, but The Island does much the same for Greece’s Spinalonga, a former leper colony, and was adapted into a popular and respected Greek TV series.

And have you read The Thread by her? I was inspired to read this ahead of my own trip to Thessaloniki for Silver Travel Advisor, and it really brought this fascinating city to life for me:

https://www.silvertraveladvisor.com/blog/destination-features-europe-greece/thessaloniki-a-historical-and-modern-greek-city

Exactly as you say – well, paraphrasing a little, if I may…..her books will give the visitor a deeper understanding of the place they are visiting.

May I suggest ‘The Sunrise’ by Victoria Hislop for anyone going to Cyprus.
Victoria does copious amounts of research and writes engagingly and sensitively showing the history of the Turkish invasion of Cyprus and the consequent destruction of Farmagusta. She writes about fictional families but uses historical facts. The book will give the visitor a deeper understanding of the island,

sallyD wrote:

sallyD
10:16 29-Sep-17

Seeing an earlier post for a James Michener book, for a future read I can recommend James Michener’s ‘Hawaii’. It certainly kept me spellbound during my trip around the Hawaiian Islands some years ago. https://www.silvertraveladvisor.com/blog/destination-features-north-america-united-states/say-aloha-to-hawaii

Enjoyed your article sallyD – have been to the Islands 3 times now and visited many of the places you mention, but would be happy to do them all again!

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

Seeing an earlier post for a James Michener book, for a future read I can recommend James Michener’s ‘Hawaii’. It certainly kept me spellbound during my trip around the Hawaiian Islands some years ago. https://www.silvertraveladvisor.com/blog/destination-features-north-america-united-states/say-aloha-to-hawaii

I saw James Michener mentioned in this thread and must recommend his epic book “Hawaii”. It was a great read during my trip some years ago

Bonfire of the Vanities is a bit scary in some ways, as was Gordon Gecko – heard Michael Doulglas’s voice on the radio a couple of days ago and got the shivers.
New York is a different city in some ways, however DT may change that ………..

Yes, @AndrewMorris, I’ve also enjoyed Hawaii, Texas, ,Centennial, Sayonara, Chesapeake and Tales of the South Pacific

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain
32 Posts
Sign in to add your message