Welcome to our forums.

Silver Travel Book Club - Book of the Month - October 2017

Thank you very much for the copy of “One summer in Venice”, by Nicky Pellegrino. I am looking forward to reading it and being transported to Venice.

Congratulations @paulinet and Carole Anne Thurley, who have both won a copy of One Summer in Venice by Nicky Pellegrino, the Book Club’s Book of the Month for October.

Enjoy, and look forward to hearing your thoughts.

@rosiej – I would also recommend the Nic Costa series of books; https://www.goodreads.com/series/40698-nic-costa

Venice is the setting for some of the books in the Nic Costa series by David Hewson. Loved reading them but I will give Donna Leon a go after your recommendation.

I first visited Venice aged 16 whilst working as an au pair. Last time we visited in February, which proved to be a good decision. Arriving via a water bus from Marco Polo airport, the first views approaching Venice are unbelievably beautiful. My friend actually cried with delight. There were some tourists, but not hoards. During the day, until about 4pm, it was really warm T-shirt weather. We wandered away from St Mark’s Square and found a working boat building yard. Further on, we discovered a large supermarket and stocked up on snacks and wine for consumption later in our hotel room. The supermarkets do not have advertising on the front, so it’s only by watching the locals that you can discover where groceries can be bought.
This book is next on my list to read, although I will have to find it in audio format.

It’s many years since I visited Venice but would love to return. I first visited as a child in the late 1950s and just loved it. We stayed at the Lido and used take the vaparetto into the city. I love reading Donna Leon’s books and they transport me to the callers and restaurants. Once visited Venice is always there in my mind

Thanks @Fossil and @Cruzeroqueen1 for recommending the attractions of Venice’s islands. I think Murano is famous for its glass? You mention Burano and Torcello too, what did you enjoying seeing and doing on those islands?

The Silver Travel Book Club’s Book of the Month for October is Nicky Pellegrino’s One Summer in Venice. The main character, Addolorata Martinelli, spends time alone in Venice, evaluating her life at home and aiming to find the ten things that make her happy.

High on my own Happiness List would be to go back to Venice for the first time in more than 50 years, with my wife Gill this time, and spend a couple of weeks exploring Venice and all its islands. But not in the summer!

Re-posting my comment from a couple of days, with thanks to @coolonespa for pointing out the impact of a . after an @ !

Hmmm….extreme weather conditions seem to be a recurring theme of Venetian memories.

Fog @bdavies

Golden evening light @june

And rain….lots of rain remembered by other Silver Travellers.

I haven’t read Miss Garnet’s Angel, @Lillibet13 – it sounds like another perfect book to read in Venice though.

Keep those memories coming….

Fossil wrote:

Fossil
21:54 24-Oct-17

Venice is a city that has many changes of clothes. The first time I went was to board a ship and waiting to board the smell fro the water was memorable but for the wrong reasons. On other visits it has been crowded to the point of being unpleasant in St. Marks Square. One thing to do that is seldom mentioned is to take a boat trip around the islands and visit the various sites that each one is famous for. To finish your holiday on a high note take the water taxi to the airport and wave Venice farewell as is disappears into the distance.

Can certainly endorse @Fossil with regard to visiting the other isands – Murano, Burano and Torcello were delightful. Although to ‘spend a penny’ cost Euro 1.50

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

Venice is a city that has many changes of clothes. The first time I went was to board a ship and waiting to board the smell fro the water was memorable but for the wrong reasons. On other visits it has been crowded to the point of being unpleasant in St. Marks Square. One thing to do that is seldom mentioned is to take a boat trip around the islands and visit the various sites that each one is famous for. To finish your holiday on a high note take the water taxi to the airport and wave Venice farewell as is disappears into the distance.

London

Hmmm….extreme weather conditions seem to be a recurring theme of Venetian memories.

Fog @bdavies.

Golden evening light @june.

And rain….lots of rain remembered by other Silver Travellers.

I haven’t read Miss Garnet’s Angel, @Lillibet13. It sounds like another perfect book to read in Venice though.

Keep those memories coming….

48 Posts
Sign in to add your message