Welcome to our forums.

Silver Travel Book Club - Book of the Month - November 2018

@AndrewMorris
Hi Andrew,

I was a winner of the September book, Turning Left Around the World, but am sad to say I have not received my copy yet.
Has it been sent and got lost in the post?

I have corrected the spelling of my name this week!

I am fairly new to Silver Traveller and love it, waiting eagerly for each months treats.

Pauline, GypsyWanderer.

Exeter. UK.

Hello @canoe – yes, the November book of the month is ‘Sail Away, ’ by Celia Imrie. It’s the perfect read on a cruise ship. Have a look at the start of this Forum thread for a summary of the story, or click on this link to the book on the TripFiction database: https://www.tripfiction.com/books/sail-away/

It’s ‘deliciously witty and irresistibly indulgent’ so hope you enjoy it. And if you leave a fun comment here on your own cruising experiences, you might even win a free copy!

When and where is your next cruise?

Happy sailing and happy reading.

Andrew
Literary Editor

Is the latest book suitable to be read on a cruise ship ?

It was the late 80’s that we started talking about the year’s coming holiday. At that time we were going away with another couple and they suggested taking a cruise. “A what?” I asked, struck with absolute horror at the thought. I explained in my own imitable way that there was just no way of getting me to spend 14 days on a cruise ship cooped up in a little cabin with the “Blue Rinse Brigade” for company and ballroom dancing for entertainment. The weeks went by, the wife was saying we should ‘Give it a try’. Finally I was out voted 3 to 1. What had I let myself in for? June that year has us boarding a coach at Palma Airport, Majorca and heading for the dock area. Arriving on the quay side we were guided onto the ship and booked in to then be shown to our cabin by a very smartly dressed cabin attendant. Already I was impressed with the efficiency and the décor but I wasn’t going to let on to the others. The cabin was an inside on the lowest deck but spacious and spotlessly clean, huge bed with a large walk in shower. The more I saw the more I liked it. Over the following 2 weeks I became used to the very efficient service, superb selection of quality food, excellent entertainment and waking most days in a different port or country. The ‘Blue Rinse Brigade’ where were they? Ballroom dancing?, certainly not on this ship. At the end of 2 weeks I had changed my mind about cruising, I didn’t want to leave. Now with well over 100 cruises completed all over the world I am totally hooked on cruising and have even been known to write about them.

London

I have read Celia Imrie’s books Not Quite Nice and Nice Work (If You Can Get It) and thoroughly enjoyed them so would very much like to read Sail Away. I have been on a couple of cruises as an adult: Alaska and the Yukon cruise and tour and a cruise to the Baltic which were both very good. However, my first cruising experience was as a child and it was the only time I crossed the Atlantic – it was 50 years ago when my family immigrated to Canada and it wasn’t a luxury cruise. We were in a cabin with two sets of bunk beds and just about everyone on board got sea sick – so much so they ran out of medication. I remember spending a good part of the trip in bed eating tea biscuits and drinking ginger ale. The sea was so rough the water in the swimming pool was tipping out each end and the horizon in the floor to ceiling windows on one deck was alternating at the top on one side then the other. We often joke about the cook’s sense of humour at serving pea soup the first evening many passengers managed to make it back to the dining room; not many stayed. For some reason I haven’t fancied another transatlantic crossing…

I have never been on a cruise! We have ummed and ahhed about it. So nearest i can claim is my husband and I a few years ago went on a canal bost holiday for 7 days. In such a confined space by the end of it we were hardly talking and dreaming up ways of pushing each other in the canal!!!
Living on the Island i have seen Celia serveral times and once chatted to her at a market whete she was pushing her bicycle wearing an orange jump suit!! Would love to win a copy of this book please!

Isle of Wight

Apart from this great story @sararose do you have any other cruising stories to share?

ESW
Lincolnshire

As I have posted before I met my husband on my first ever cruise so he was an unexpected reward! As he was working on the ship as a lecturer he was able to tell me lots of inside stories about the staff and the crew, The second officer was having an affair with a Countess who spent 6 months on board and 6 months with her husband, the Count of somewhere obscure! The Entertainments Manageress was having an affair with the maitre de and the aged pianist was in love with a very young dancer! There were no doubt numerous other liaisons. I will not be naming the ship for obvious reasons but it was all a long time ago!
Johnny Morris was the guest speaker on the cruise and kept us entertained with endless anecdotes over a fair few glasses of whisky and wine!
Even in his late 70s Johnny was a great entertainer and commanded a large audience whenever he appeared on stage,

I’ve never cruised across the Atlantic myself, but when I was student in the early ‘80s my first landlady used to regale us with stories from her rather dashing past. One time when we were looking at her photo album we spotted her arm in arm with what looked like a naval officer, standing in front of a lifeboat on what was obviously a very large ship. Now we knew that she’d been married to an army man, so obviously we were intrigued. All that she would tell us was that that was their favourite spooning spot and that nothing to be ashamed of had occurred. To me it still sounds like the perfect shipboard romance!

My cruising experience is limited but varied, a Nile Cruise, A Galapagos Cruise and two nights on the Mekon Delta.
I love being on water and have siled a little so when I booked for my trip to the Galapagos Islands I chose the Mary Rose, the only sail boat on the waters.
She is beautiful and she is roomy having 24 cabins but only taking 16 passengers. No single supplements is a huge plus to.
Our days were spent sailing, walking, kayaking and snorkeling, bliss.
Being a small group we soon made friends and discovered the small bar and Galapagos Cocktails. 6pm. became cocktail hour as we watched the sun set on the horizon and settled down for our meal on deck. And then another cocktail as we crossed the Equator for the first time.
And did I mention the animals?

Exeter. UK.
This thread is locked. This means you can't add a response.
Sign in to add your message