Welcome to our forums.

Silver Travel Book Club - Book of the Month - November 2018

The only cruise I have been on was when I travelled up the Yangtze River – stopping off to view local attractions – eating Chinese food for every meal – and the evenings were spent doing karaoke! Celia Imrie is great though so I imagine it is a good read.

London

I have not been overexcited by previous boat trips…….Unfortunately, some fellow travellers seem to leave good manners onshore…..Or maybe they have never been possessed with good manners in the first place……

Celia Imrie is great fun & I’m sure the book will be too. If I’m not wrong I will be able to imagine the characters & have a good laugh. Looking forward to it so I’d better win the book!

Sounds like a good book and well worth a read.

AndrewMorris wrote:

what a perfect advertisement for cruise holidays. Of those 100+ cruises, how many times have you crossed the Atlantic? And where are you heading next?

I think it is 11 times on 9 different ships. The next cruise, who knows.

London

Thanks, Silver Travellers and Silver Travel Book Club members for the great comments so far on November’s book ‘Sail Away’, by Celia Imrie.

@InfamyInfamy – you say ‘living on the island I have seen Celia several times and once chatted to her at a market.’ Which island do you live on…and I hope she was friendly when you chatted with her? With a long and successful acting career, several published novels and now even a top 40 record (a cover of Abba’s When I Kissed the Teacher, after appearing in Mamma Mia, Here We Go Again), she is definitely in ‘National Treasure’ territory.

@DRSask – what a terrible crossing you had en route to starting a new life in Canada! But perhaps it’s time to banish those memories and try again? With a more stable modern ship, and hopefully good weather, perhaps it could be memorable for all the right reasons this time…

@Fossil – what a perfect advertisement for cruise holidays. Of those 100+ cruises, how many times have you crossed the Atlantic? And where are you heading next?

@applegroupie – how lovely to have been able to chat with Celia Imrie en route to New York. And Dr Ruth. An interesting choice of speaker for the cruise, but it sounds like the passengers loved her subject matter!

Keep those comments coming, either on this Forum thread or on Silver Travel’s Facebook page, and the best two entries from Silver Travellers will each win a copy of Sail Away.

What amusing experiences have you had whilst crossing the Atlantic? Which, erm, strange and interesting characters have you met on a cruise ship? Or what unexpected rewards have you stumbled up on the high seas?’

Andrew
Literary Editor

AndrewMorris wrote:

Which, erm, strange and interesting characters have you met on a cruise ship?

Not strange but interesting on my last cruise Roy Hudd, Geoffrey Holland and Sally Geeson. Enjoyed talking to them and listening to their experiences of film, television and theatre.

London

AndrewMorris wrote:

Which, erm, strange and interesting characters have you met on a cruise ship?

On the same Queen Mary 2 transatlantic cruise in July 2010 with Celia Imrie and P.D. James was Dr Ruth Westheimer, the well known sex therapist who had her own late night TV shows in the US. Dr Ruth is a pint sized woman. What she lacked in height is made up by her larger than life personality.

The theatre was packed whenever her lectures were on. If you were bold enough to ask her a sexually related question, she would give you a direct answer and then task you with homework back in your cabin!

I wouldn’t say she is strange but she is defintely an interesting character.

In July 2010 I was on the Queen Mary 2 transatlantic return voyage to New York and Celia Imrie was also onboard. She was not one of the speakers onboard but a passenger like myself. The speakers on that cruise was the author P.D. James and Dr Ruth Westheimer, the sex therapist. Celia was en route to New York for her one woman show.

Celia was great fun and mingled with the passengers. We even had our photo taken with her, albeit a very blurry one.

She must have been gathering material for her novels all the time she was onboard.

Hello @GypsyWanderer

Sorry to hear that you haven’t received your prize of a signed copy of ‘Turning Left Around The World’. I’ll chase that up for you right away!

On a more positive note, so glad to hear that you’re enjoying everything that Silver Travel Advisor offers, including the Silver Travel Book Club

Happy travelling and happy reading,

Andrew

This thread is locked. This means you can't add a response.
Sign in to add your message