Welcome to our forums.

Silver Travel Book Club - Book of the Month - November 2017

Wooohooo – thanks @Susmal – the book should be with you shortly. Enjoy, and Happy Christmas to you!

Andrew

Thank you Andrew. I am also delighted to have won a copy of the book. An early Christmas present to my self :)

Hello @Kelpie – great news and thanks for letting us know, Rita. Enjoy the book!

Andrew

Hi,Andrew,Just got an email to say I have won ,A Year in the Woods by Colin Elford,just to let you know that I m absolutely delighted and a huge Thank you.It has cheered me up more than you know, Kind Regards,Rita

Lincolnshire

Congratulations @Susmal and @Kelpie who have both won a copy of the Silver Travel Book Club’s book of the month for November!

A copy of A Year in the Woods by Colin Elford will soon be winging its way to you, once you’ve confirmed your address to [email protected].

Happy reading and we’d love to hear your thoughts on the book once you’ve read it, by posting another comment on this forum.

Thanks for your contributions and hope you enjoy spending time in the woods with Colin.

Thanks @littlebob for your great comments.

‘Voices on the Wind’ sounds intriguing, and the Forest of Dean is such a lovely area. Have you been? Have you followed in the character’s footsteps?

Like you, I found Bill Bryson’s ‘A Walk in the Woods’ interesting – he has an uncanny way of imparting information in an entertaining way, doesn’t he? But I’m afraid I didn’t think it was nearly as funny as some of his earlier travel books, especially Neither Here nor There. And it was adapted into a very unfunny film, starring Robert Redford and Nick Nolte. So disappointing, in my opinion.

Andrew

A book enjoyed by myself and quite a few of our family and friends is called “Voices on the Wind”, by Brigid Chard. It is about a girl growing up in The Forest of Dean and all the trials and tribulations she encounters.

I have read Bill Bryson’s “A Walk in the Woods”. I found it really interesting and also very funny.

Hello @AnniesGranny – we would love to hear from you about the lovely walks we have in our local woods at Ogden Water near Halifax.

We are nearing the end of November, and this month’s Silver Travel Book Club selection A Year in the Woods: The Diary of a Forest Ranger by Colin Elford.

Don’t forget you can win a copy of the book by letting us hear your own memories of woods and forests, either on this Forum thread or on Silver Travel Advisor’s Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/SilverTravelAdvisor/

And in Jennie’s November Prize Draw you can also win a luxury rural retreat where one lucky winner and three guests could enjoy a four night midweek or three-night weekend getaway at a stunning woodland location thanks to Forest Holidays. Enter here: https://www.silvertraveladvisor.com/blog/prizes/november-2017-prize-draw

Has anyone read Bill Bryson’s A Walk in the Woods? Not one of his best by a long way, in my opinion, but still an interesting read about the epic Appalachian Trail, stretching all the way from Georgia to Maine in the USA. It was adapted into a terrible film a few years ago, starring Robert Redford and Nick Nolte. The scenery was by far the best thing in the movie!

Look forward to hearing more wooded & forested memories…..

@AnniesGranny – yes, that is a wonderful story from @DRSask isn’t it, but PLEASE come back to this Forum thread and let us know all about the lovely walks at Ogden Water.

No rush, we’ll be here for a while….and we would really enjoy hearing what makes these local woods so special for you.

27 Posts
Sign in to add your message