Welcome to our forums.

Silver Travel Book Club - Book of the Month - May 2018

GBG wrote:

GBG
11:15 01-May-18

I have only visited Guernsey once about 40 years ago when I was expecting my first child. I remember the beautiful beaches and the laid back atmosphere and the break there was just what I needed. I particularly remember the locals approach to road junctions and roundabouts when often we would be waved on, even though it probably was not our priority. This made us feel very welcome. I do hope that this habit has not changed but I fear it may have. I would love to go back to check.

I recall in Jersey @GBG that it was an ‘unwrittern law’ that at a junction to a main road, one person was let out, main road driver continues, another person let out, and so on and so forth. I thought it was a wonderful system, keeping traffic flowing smoothly

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

I have only visited Guernsey once about 40 years ago when I was expecting my first child. I remember the beautiful beaches and the laid back atmosphere and the break there was just what I needed. I particularly remember the locals approach to road junctions and roundabouts when often we would be waved on, even though it probably was not our priority. This made us feel very welcome. I do hope that this habit has not changed but I fear it may have. I would love to go back to check.

Have only visited Guernsey once, but have friends in Jersey to stayed with them a few times. She recollects that many of the occupying German forces – generally very young men – were more or less abandoned there without resources, and that there were many reports of them being so hungry they resorted to eating grass.

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

This month the Silver Travel Book Club is reading The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer. It has been chosen to coincide with the release of a major film adaptation of the book, and also with a generous holiday prize of a trip to this beautiful Channel Island with GuernseyTravel.com.

To give them hope she must tell their story……

It’s 1946. The war is over, and Juliet Ashton has writer’s block. But when she receives a letter from Dawsey Adams of Guernsey – a total stranger living halfway across the Channel, who has come across her name written in a second hand book – she enters into a correspondence with him, and in time with all the members of the extraordinary Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society.

Through their letters, the society tell Juliet about life on the island, their love of books – and the long shadow cast by their time living under German occupation. Drawn into their irresistible world, Juliet sets sail for the island, changing her life forever

So read the book with the Silver Travel Book Club, go and see the film….and – if you can – travel to Guernsey to visit some of the locations described in the book.

We’d love to hear about your own visit to Guernsey, or memory of WWII. Join the Forum thread, or comment on Silver Travel’s Facebook page, and the best two entries from Silver Travellers will win a copy of The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society.

Last Edited by AndrewMorris at 29 Apr 16:12
24 Posts
This thread is locked. This means you can't add a response.
Sign in to add your message