Welcome to our forums.

Silver Travel Book Club - Book of the Month - February 2019

Thanks for your kind comments Andrew ,
I ordered Kate’s book from my local book shop, I will be reading it very soon.
I am in the process of collecting books to read while I lie in agony in hospital, after I have an operation , being in there, will be a challenge I am absolutely no good at doing what I am told, But, must do better, as my teacher used to say.
Looking forward to your March choice of book

WEST SCOTLAND

Wow, some cracking comments coming in already from Silver Travel Book Club members about their favourite or most memorable walks. Kate Humble’s Thinking on My Feet certainly seems to have struck some strolling, walking, and hiking chords this month.

@MOUNTAINGOAT – what a poignant walk you recall in Antigua. Thanks for sharing such an emotional experience, and I couldn’t agree more with your conclusion: ‘I for one will always want to see what is round the next corner on my walking way’.

@JKM – your 3 day walk in Papua New Guinea sounds truly amazing. Did you feel safe throughout the long trek to your research station? ‘__What doesn’t kill you make you stronger__’ as my missus loves to say. And what a rewarding walking adventure for you, dodgy knees ‘n’ all.

@DRSask – thanks for your beautifully observed memories of walking in Northumberland, and for such evocative photographs.

Kate quotes novelist Elizabeth von Arnim in her preamble to Thinking on My Feet:Walking is the perfect way of moving if you want to see into the life of things. It is the one way of freedom. If you go to a place on anything but your own two feet, you are taken there too fast, and miss a thousand delicate joys that were waiting for you by the wayside.’

Hard to think of a better endorsement for walking than those simple words. So keep your walking memories and anecdotes coming…and Kate Humble herself might even respond on this Forum….

Gosh another month gone by!
Favourite Walk ?
" Look Mummy look, no hands,I can walk now". Babies smile with triumph written over wobbling, swaying ,dribbling tiny human frames .Then walks to school come all too soon .
For me, an aged one, walking brings me moments of escape , no ringing telephones [ PRR PRR ] Or endless loops of irritating tones , calling , answer me now ! Will I answer or not ? Guilt creeps in , maybe it’s an important call ?
These contact machines own us body and soul, So out to walk I simply have to go .
Now which of all my walks is my favourite ? Those simple words took a lot of thought, so many steps taken in ones life, some I wish I could retrace, some I wish I could erase.
Queens beach in Antigua maybe my favourite walk .We went out with a local beach lady who had taken us under her wing.
It was a scorching hot day ,but the miles did not seem far to go while she was pointing out all manner of trees , bushes, grasses and animals , to which she gave an interesting twist , concerning their uses .
The dusty sandy road was colouring my feet in a layer of gold, and my skin was slowly baking under unrelenting sun .But a quick swim at Queen’s Beach, surrounded by it’s trees brought cool relief .
I wondered while there, was it possible our Queen loved the moments of freedom she felt when away from prying eyes.
We sat a while chattering, watching lazy water rolling lightly on the tiny beach and listening to the scratching sand and pebbles, meeting and parting , as if at play.
But no more time to linger one more stop on our walk, where were we heading to now?
The path took on a gloomy unkempt look as we wandered on hot and unsure, then our lady friend spoke hesitantly " I hope you do not mind, I need to go and see my brother".
A few more corners and some very beaten up shacks came into view, nothing to commend them what so ever. We had arrived …. The local leper colony faced us. Our old beach ladies brother was one of those last unwanted souls left to wither like grapes on a vine.
Old men and women curious to see who we were, moved closer. I could see fingerless hands and lots of other disfigurements ,We spoke with those who wanted human contact, and sat down amongst them .It was a very deeply moving experience.
They no longer walked free , but stayed herded like sheep in a fold, shunned by all.
Medically cared for no doubt by doctors who had good hearts, but where was human compassion in all of this. The residents were content with their miserable lot, while we tourists stopped briefly, then walked our way to plush hotels, and meals they never saw.. Strolling towards or away can lead to the richest of life’s experiences .
I for one will always want to see what is round the next corner on my walking way.

WEST SCOTLAND

My most memorable walking experience was in Papua New Guinea where I was doing fieldwork. We’d been in a highlands village for a month with a group of PNGian students on a wildlife training course. After they departed, porters took what food and provisions were left and set off on the long march to a research station, disappearing into the forest like in the days of David Livingstone. I walked much slower with 3 guys and it took us nearly 3 days of climbing mountains, descending slopes, fording rivers and repeating the same thing over and over before we spied the research station through the trees. We slept under tarpaulin with leaves as bedding. My knees have never been the same since, but it was an unforgetable experience!

JKM
Cornwall

Sounds like a good read….

This book sounds great. I love walking and find a something new every day be it plant life of wildlife the same route always has a surprise.

This book sounds great. I love walking and find a something new every day be it plant life of wildlife the same route always has a surprise.

Having started walking more myself this book would be a joy.
It is amazing what you notice along the way, what you hear and what you take in, even if it is the same route as last week.
A walk is never the same from one day to the next.
I return refreshed, calm energised with a clear head and mind.

Exeter. UK.

I love Kate Humble, she’s a real country woman. I have walked in some of her footsteps – but not yet gone walking without my clothes like she does when the mood takes her!!!

What a lovely book.

This thread is locked. This means you can't add a response.
Sign in to add your message