Welcome to our forums.

Silver Travel Book Club - Book of the Month - February 2018

hi, I like your story / experience very much. It is quite interesting. Thanks for sharing it.

london,uk

This sounds like another good read. My most memorable road trip in Europe happened many years ago (30+) when I was visiting a school friend whose husband was stationed in Heidelberg. Being Canadian they did not live on the American base but in the community; a small town celebrating wine festival at the time of my visit. The road trip part of the story refers to our adventures driving around the country and struggling with the language. Although my friend had been living there for over a year, she still did not have more than the rudiments of German; just enough to order food, although sometimes that didn’t work out quite right. In one café we ordered chocolate ice cream and ended up with hot chocolate – the pronunciation is so similar, no? However, our language difficulties started with a breakdown on the autobahn between Frankfurt and Heidelberg the night my friend picked me up at Frankfurt airport. Two young ladies on the side of the autobahn at night were not very sure of strange men who stopped to help. We were finally able to call a tow truck at a roadside telephone – long before cell phones! When the truck arrived, the driver was from Poland and had a Polish/German dictionary. We had an English/German dictionary. It was quite the comedy of errors to communicate but eventually we were installed in the truck and my friend’s VW Beetle was on the flatbed and we were on our way to her home where her husband was wondering where we were as by this time it was well after midnight. For the most part though, we had a lovely time touring around the area and saw a wonderful production of The Student Prince, in English, at Heidelberg Castle.

Here’s the cover of Laurie Lee’s wonderful As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning, the Silver Travel Book Club’s book of the month for February:

I savoured every page of this classic story of a young man seeking adventure, initially on the south coast of England, then in London and finally walking the length of Spain – from Vigo to Andalucia – in the tempestuous 1930s:

http://justretiring.com/book-review-as-i-walked-out-one-midsummer-morning/

Tell us about your own adventures on foot in Europe by commenting on this Forum thread, and you could win a copy of Laurie Lee’s book.

And don’t forget, you can also win Jennie’s monthly holiday prize for February with HF Holidays. Here’s how to enter.

Great books

This month we are reading Laurie Lee’s classic book ‘As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning.’

Join the author as he leaves his rural Gloucestershire home to walk along the south coast of England, and then the entire length of Spain, just as Civil War begins to foment.

With beautifully poetic language and perceptive observations, he tells of a fascinating adventure and the people he meets along the way.

Tell us about your own adventures on foot in Europe by commenting on this Forum thread, and you could win a copy of Laurie Lee’s book. And don’t forget, you can also win Jennie’s monthly holiday prize for February with HF Holidays, over on the separate Forum thread.

Happy reading and happy travelling.

Andrew

25 Posts
Sign in to add your message