Welcome to our forums.

Silver Travel Book Club - Book of the Month - August 2017

Rome is such a wonderful city to visit and I would love to read this book to bring back the memories of our visit. We walked into the city one day on a section of the Appian Way taking in the catacombs and entering through the city wall, and it felt we were walking on such an historical route especially to the Colosseum were the gladiators would have fought. Then on the next day we explored the Forum – the most amazing place surrounded by the remains of the Roman empire – there is no where to match this experience.

This sounds like a lovely summer read. Unfortunately I’ve never been to Rome, but would love to visit one day. I’ve been to the Amalfi coast, the Italian lakes, and visited Venice briefly. I loved all of my holidays in Italy, and this book would give me a flavour of them all over again.

This looks like another good read! I have many happy memories of Rome from a trip I took to Italy with some friends. We took a tour but added a few days on in Rome both at the beginning and at the end of the tour. For our last day in Rome we walked to the metro near our hotel and checked out the neighbourhood and Via Europa, the main street of shops before taking the metro then the train to Trastevere. We were unsure of which tram to take to get us to the old part of Trastevere but a nice elderly gentleman who spoke no English saw us poring over our map and through hand signals, using the map and with lots of smiles he got us on the right tram (#8). He had been out getting some groceries and was on his way home and saw three young women (yes, it was a few years ago) in need of assistance. We had a lovely lunch (delicious tomato and tuna pannini) in the sun at a café in Piazza di Santa Maria across from Chiesa di Santa Maria. The perfect spot to people watch. We walked back to the train station, took the train to Termini and the metro to Eur Platosport and picked up some delicacies at a patisserie on Via Europa and enjoyed them while sitting in the sun by the lake. Ah, what a lovely way to wind down after a tour!

Welcome to the Silver Travel Book Club book of the month for August.

This month we’re reading “The Rome Affair”. Written by Karen Swan, the novel first introduces us to Elena Damiani, a wealthy beauty who would seem to have it all, in the Eternal City of 1974.

Fast forward to 2017 and Francesca Hackett is living la dolce vita in Rome, leading tourist groups around the city and forgetting the ghosts she left behind in London.

Francesca comes into contact with famed socialite Viscontessa Elena dei Damiani Pignatelli della Mirandola. Mutually intrigued by each other, the two women agree to collaborate on a project, with Cesca interviewing Elena for her memoirs. As summer unfurls, Elena tells her sensational stories, leaving Cesca in her thrall. But when a priceless diamond ring found in an ancient tunnel below the city streets is ascribed to Elena, Cesca begins to suspect a shocking secret at the heart of Elena’s life.

A classic summer read, and where better to indulge your literary wanderlust than Rome?

Happy reading and happy travels.

Andrew for the Silver Travel Book Club

Last Edited by AndrewMorris at 27 Jul 22:18
24 Posts
Sign in to add your message