Welcome to our forums.

Sights of the Southern Rhine

esw, i am green with envy about your cruise. the one consolation is that i’ve been able to read your write-ups and gaze longingly at your brilliant photos. thank you.

You probably had more time to enjoy it than I did. Apparently we only had a short stop as ‘it was Sunday morning and all the shops would be shut…. ’ I won’t repeat my comment to that.

ESW
Lincolnshire

Great photos Eleanor – We stayed overnight in Boppard twice during our recent holiday on the Danube, I agree it would be nice to spend more time there unfortunately it was only for an overnight stopover on our outbound and return journey’s…

We stayed here at the Hotel Ebertor.

Bedford

coolonespa wrote:

When you have time perhaps you could enrich our boats, Markets etc. threads with some of your lovely pics.

Keep up to date Steve – I already have!!

The first two reviews have been published, but they are basically precises of what is on the web.

ESW
Lincolnshire

Thoroughly enjoyable review, @ESW, with stunning photos. Thank you

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

I’m glad you had a good time Eleanor and there are some great pictures there. When you have time perhaps you could enrich our boats, Markets etc. threads with some of your lovely pics. Please pop some links up here when your STA reviews are published.

Essex UK

Glad you had a great time Eleanor.

London

Sounds like a splendid time with many places to see. I know what you mean about ‘cities’…..I prefer the countryside. However, it’s nice to visit the many churches, something we do as well.
Great photos.

Chichester

Usually I choose the destination first, but daughter and the grandsons were on a weeks holiday leaving me with no grandparenting commitments. It was too good a chance to miss so I was searching the net for possible holidays at the beginning of August. I soon discovered that most companies don’t do holidays during the school holidays unless you wanted an all inclusive resort holiday (the kiss of death). Sights of the Southern Rhine advertised by Titan Travel was the only one that appealed. I also liked their door to door service. Once I’d locked the door I would be their responsibility until I unlocked the door at the end of the holiday. I booked.

It is the first time I’ve done a river cruise so was somewhat apprehensive what I would make of it. I was assured it was all very casual and I didn’t need the cocktail dress (not got) and family jewels (safely stored somewhere). The dress code was smart casual. Actually the casual bit was probably more in evidence than the smart bit. Some of the visions in their shorts and skimpy tops made me look decidedly smart in my cargo trousers and seer sucker shirt. I did take a summer dress with me (my one and only one and decidedly vintage now) but needn’t have bothered.

The A-Rosa Viva took 198 passengers – a manageable size compared with some of the enormous cruise liners, which regular STA members will know I detest. Cabins were comfortable, staff good and the food was not only plentiful it was also excellent with plenty of choice.

I’d booked a cabin with a porthole working on the principle that I would be on the sun deck as long as the weather was suitable. If it wasn’t, then I wouldn’t a want to sit on a balcony either. As it happened the ‘balcony’ cabins didn’t have a proper balcony. It was an opening window and there wasn’t enough space to sit out. I was lulled to sleep at night by the sound of water flowing past my porthole.

Apart from one wet afternoon the sun shone and I spent all my time sitting on the sun deck watching the scenery glide by, helped by a Hugo Spritzer. It was very relaxing and I could get used to this.

The entertainment on board was a DJ in the evenings which I avoided, and games provided in the lounge. There was crazy golf, shuffleboard and giant drafts on the sun deck, but with few takers. The ‘library’ was a strange selection of novels left by previous guests. Reading the blurb on the back covers I could understand why they didn’t take them home.

The cruise started from Cologne, travelling as far as Basel and back to Cologne. There was a good mix of cities and small medieval towns. I did the guided tour of Strasbourg and remembered why I dislike city tours. I missed the rest and went off exploring by myself.

I’ll be writing reviews for Silver Travel, but in the meantime, you can read my full report with pictures here.

ESW
Lincolnshire
9 Posts
Sign in to add your message