Welcome to our forums.

Selfie danger during solar eclipse.

Far too dull & grey here to see anything. They said we’d notice a distant deterioration in the light at the time of the eclipse but it was so dark anyway no one noticed. Yes I do remember 1999 & likewise I was at work viewing it with my work colleagues.

Essex UK

After a dull week we’d expected the eclipse to be a non event. (The 1999 one was). In fact it was a perfect day. Just when the eclipse was at its height, thin cloud wafted across the sun so it was safe to look at it without damaging eyes. Son in law sent us this photo with the comment "Look what we did at work with a car with tinted windows and a sunroof!"

I was surprised how quickly the light went at the start of the eclipse, and how quickly it returned.

Apparently next year will have a total solar eclipse, too. That will occur on 9 March, and will cross Sumatra, Borneo, Sulawesi, and extend out over the Pacific.

ESW
Lincolnshire

Some good BBC video’s here http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-31965456 taken from an aircraft if anyone wants to take a look…..

Scroll down the BBC page to see Belfast in darkness….

Bedford

…….and I forgot all about it until to late – have to wait for the next one, 2090 I believe…..

Bedford

Did anyone see it? and do you remember the last Eclipse? My answer is yes to both. Here in Northumberland it was quite an event today, just as it was back in 1999 when I was at work, and we were all supplied with goggles, and we went outside and witnessed it as a group. Today it was just hubby and I but nevertheless a great experience.

Northumberland

I remember watching the solar eclipse in 1954 when we either used glass covered with smoke or (real state of the art at the time) several photographic negatives stuck together the darken the sun. Those of us who didn’t have either tried to glimpse it through our fingers….

Things have changed a bit since then.

ESW
Lincolnshire

I have a friend that damaged his eyes some years ago viewing an eclipse through binoculars, fortunately it didn’t result in blindness but he does have to wear glasses as a result of it, so view it with caution – that’s assuming we see the sun Friday.

Bedfordshire

Are you ready for, or did you even know we are due a solar eclipse this Friday

The eclipse will begin at 8.45am and the Moon will be nearest the middle of the Sun at 9.31am.
By 10.41am it will all be over.

Taking pictures of Friday’s solar eclipse with a smartphone or camera could put people at risk of blindness, eye experts have warned.

Inadvertently glancing at the Sun – even briefly while setting up a shot – can lead to burns at the back of eye so beware…..

Bedford
8 Posts
Sign in to add your message