The Silver Travel Forum – important update

Our Forum is now only available to read rather than to contribute to discussions. You can still access all threads, but you will no longer be able to add your own comments. If you would like to write a review instead, please click here.

If you have any questions, please contact [email protected]

Replacing light bulbs with LEDs

Not had any problem with the ones I’ve bought from a well-known online retailer, but I do avoid the ones that are a “silly” price. Have still got some of those ugly “spiral” low energy bulbs given away by my electricity provider, which seem to be going on forever so replacement is taking a while!

Main problem I have with lightbulbs are the kitchen and bathroom fittings. Both have push in spotlights. When one blows it creates smoke and last time blew the fuse. Not to mention the grazed fingers and broken nails when trying to remove and replace the bulbs, aaarrgghh!

As always caveat emptor – if the price is too good to be true – it is….

Are trading standards aware of this?

ESW
Lincolnshire

After watching the programme ‘Fake Britain’ on BBC1 this morning regarding the amount of dangerous fake LED bulbs that are flooding the market, I would surgest that if you have or are considering buying them, to only buy from a reputable source. The CE mark is no indication that they are genuine.

Just as an afterthought, I saw them recently on offer in a local £1 shop, you guessed it they were only a £1 each…..Leave them on the shelf….

Bedford

Well that’s all the bulbs changed to LED’s that I need to do in my house. My electricity monitor has without doubt been recording a lower power usage over the last three months so it looks like I’m onto a winner.

Has anyone else invested in any yet, or are you still undecided?

Bedford
Sounds like you need to update Steve.

In so many ways

Essex UK

Sounds like you need to update Steve.

London

Yes, our newer ones give instant light, but the ancient bulb in the bedroom takes a while to give light. It’s silly to throw out, and it gives enough light to stop us tripping over!

Nr. Seascale, Cumbria
The new ones I have Steve don’t seem to have a warm up time but come on at virtually full power instantly.

I clearly need an update on light technology before I purchase any new bulbs. Thanks.

When the new light bulb was first introduced they used to take ages to warm up. It was like turning up a dimmer switch very slowly. Over the years they have improved dramatically and as I said are on full power from almost the moment you switch them on. Do they warm up? Mine are only slightly warm even though they may haver been on for several hours.

London
The new ones I have Steve don’t seem to have a warm up time but come on at virtually full power instantly.

I clearly need an update on light technology before I purchase any new bulbs. Thanks.

Graphene. The future’s graphene.

Wakefield, West Yorks.

Essex UK
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message