The Silver Travel Forum – important update

Our Forum is now only available to read rather than to contribute to discussions. You can still access all threads, but you will no longer be able to add your own comments. If you would like to write a review instead, please click here.

If you have any questions, please contact [email protected]

Question for Steve or anyone else who knows Malaysia

How lovely to meet up again with the other Jo.

Northumberland

The latest blog should be posted by the time you wake up!

http://gapyearsthebook.blogspot.com

I’m glad you’re having a great time in Malacca. I had to go outside & repair something in the bitter wind yesterday, my fingers were nearly numb. As I was working it popped into my mind that I’d rather be sitting by the river in Malacca than doing this

Essex UK

Malacca is truly wonderful (I’d copy and paste and quote you both if I could work out how to do it on a real computer!)

Advance booking of hotels would certainly have to be a must for me, but take your point about budget travellers being more sociable, Also my own bathroom wuld be a must as these days I have to get up in the night a couple of times And sensible advice about eating venues, too. I loved Malacca, too, Steve, very interesting place and would like to see more of it.

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

My experience of the Malays and the Thais for that matter is that they are very respectful. So apart from the hawkers/touts there is a tendency for them to leave you alone and in peace unless you approach them. Malacca is a strange place where I’ve walked in areas that looked terrible and I’d have given a wide berth in other countries, but always felt comfortable there.

Essex UK

I quite like cruising solo – agree you generally meet some lovely people – but I prefer not to eat alone, and I’d worry about finding suitable accommodation, etc.!

I always book hotels in advance – I can’t manage arriving late in the day and not knowing where I’m going to sleep. And I’m upgrading from budget to mid-range these days, so I’ll have my own bathroom and hot water and, if necessary, air conditioning. But it’s harder to meet people – budget travellers are much more sociable than mid-range ones.

The eating thing takes gettin used to. But needs must – I won’t let it stop me. I tend to find places with several people already there, and, if it’s a pavement place, I don’t sit right on the edge, where all the hawkers and bag thieves can spot me from a distance. I always have a book with me, and my journal – I write all the time, so can busy myself while I’m waiting for food. And, unless someone comes over for a chat (which is fine) most people take no notice of me. Sometimes we are not as conspicuous as we think we are!

Me neither, David – she’s one brave lady!

Going down a pothole -now that would be brave! But once you begin travelling alone and realise what’s possible, and what wonderful people you meet, then it feels like the only way to go!

I quite like cruising solo – agree you generally meet some lovely people – but I prefer not to eat alone, and I’d worry about finding suitable accommodation, etc.!

Going down a pothole -now that would be brave! But once you begin travelling alone and realise what’s possible, and what wonderful people you meet, then it feels like the only way to go!

Sign in to add your message