Welcome to our forums.

Jane Eyre, December 2019 Book Club Book

Relevant today when you read that an autistic young girl is put in a mental institute as are many people with mental illnesses. And for me personally the need for Rochester to form a loving relationship was very similar to my sister’s husband who had been caring for her for several years at home as she developed VERY early onset dementia and she was eventually cared for in a care home He contacted our family after several years when she no longer knew anyone, to tell us he was in a new relationship and whilst he would still look after her every need, he wanted his life back and asked for our approval. He is now married to this lovely lady who also helped him care for my sister who died at the age of 62.

As for walking away from men who exploit women – I wish there was no need for women’s refuges, forced marriages, etc, etc.

@Fossil wrote:

Prefer something more up to date involving travelling the world, especially to places I would like to visit but am unlikely to get to.

Totally agree

@iwent wrote:

would you mind if we focused on the original classic novel

I think Andrew said that because you mentioned another book in the comments on this month’s selection. No such restrictions here on the Forum, you can discuss any book you like in the “What are you reading” thread or start another Thread…..were very flexible

So on a travel theme….has anyone been anywhere that reminds them of Yorkshire?

Essex UK

For my part, I seem to remember the teachers insisting we look at the historic elements within the book. What we could learn of life in those times. How awful to be an orphan. Or poor. How harsh the times were.

Oh, and I seem to remember my teacher’s take on it was that, despite all those things stacked up against Jane Eyre she managed, by being “a strong woman” to take control of her life.
And I thought she was (later) supposed to be actually in love with Rochester.

Meanwhile, the Wide Sargasso Sea questions the whole thing of her (Bertha Antoinette Mason) madness, and puts a new light on the whole scenario.

Maybe we should ask Andre Morris to choose that book for January, so that we really can discuss both books in conjunction?

Well well, we’ve got some differing opinions here.

@Coolonespa wrote:

so crack on with any discussion you wish

yet @SilverTravelEditor (might that be @AndrewMorris ?) wrote:

would you mind if we focused on the original classic novel

Unfortunately it seems that many of our number had the novel spoilt for them because:
@Fossil wrote:

people of my age had it on their school reading curriculum

Nonetheless differing opinions fly, eg
@Elgee wrote:

still relevant today

Whereas JoCarroll is sure we’ve:

moved beyond locking mad women in attics, or pretty young women feeling unable to walk away from grumpy older men who exploit them

And while @
Cruzeroqueen1 wrote:

‘of it’s day’, as were most of the Austen and Bronte novels

Our thread Teachers’ favourite 100 books has Jane Eyre at number 5, and another Bronte plus Jane Austen all within the top five.

I enjoyed it, but it was definitely ‘of it’s day’, as were most of the Austen and Bronte novels.

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

JoCarroll wrote:

I’m not sure I see it as hugely relevant today – I hope we’ve moved beyond locking mad women in attics, or pretty young women feeling unable to walk away from grumpy older men who exploit them.

Quite agree Jo. A book depicting a love story written over 170 years ago doesn’t really hold any interest for me especially when people of my age had it on their school reading curriculum. Prefer something more up to date involving travelling the world, especially to places I would like to visit but am unlikely to get to.

London

I’m not sure I see it as hugely relevant today – I hope we’ve moved beyond locking mad women in attics, or pretty young women feeling unable to walk away from grumpy older men who exploit them.

But that doesn’t stop it being a great novel for its time.

I have loved Jane Eyre since I was a child – have read it so often and watched every film version. Such a powerful tale of love and loss. I think it is still relevant today ??

Well done @iwent you were first past the post, so crack on with any discussion you wish. I’m sure @AndrewMorris will be grateful for someone starting the thread and will add his views when he is able. I’ll be interested to see people’s take on this month’s selection.

Essex UK

This month’s book club read is Jane Eyre, and I’m wondering if we should have a discussion about it. Who likes it/hates it. And what anyone thinks of The Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys. Does that book bring into perspective the horror of Rochester’s crime? Or do you have a different take?
Or would this be a spoiler thread for anyone hoping to win the book? Should we wait until next year for the discussion?

40 Posts
This thread is locked. This means you can't add a response.
Sign in to add your message