Welcome to our forums.

Jane Eyre, December 2019 Book Club Book

Fossil wrote:

I was on military manoeuvres on the Yorkshire Moors in the 60’s

I’m sure it does count @Fossil . If those moors were your favourite part of Yorkshire. It certainly fits with @AndrewMorris ‘s “tell us which is your favourite part of Yorkshire and why”, and I think some on this site would be fascinated to know what you got up to on those manoeuvres. (The bits that aren’t barred by the Official Secrets Act that is.)

ESW wrote:

it is set in Yorkshire and Charlotte Bronte is very good at describing the bleaker side of Yorkshire

Actually I began my love of Yorkshire during school geography, learning about the unique and fascinating qualities of limestone features. But I might otherwise have been attracted by the atmospheric descriptions given in Jane Eyre. Even now I find the grey rainy days as beautiful as the bright sunshiny days.

So was anyone else attracted to Yorkshire by those bleak scenes Charlotte Bronte describes?

We chose Jane Eyre as it links with the HF Holidays Bronte weekend being held in in Yorkshire at the end of January. HF Holidays are the sponsors of the Book Club and our Literary Editor, @AndrewMorris will be in attendance as well as one of HF’s Leaders, Lizzie Enfield, who is currently working on a contemporary version of Jane Eyre.

Other HF Book Club Weekends planned for 2020 are a Jane Austen Weekend in the South Downs, and a Tales from the Farm & Country Weekend in the Northern Lake District. Lots to look forward to!

London

I must admit I was also surprised by this month’s choice of book. However it is set in Yorkshire and Charlotte Bronte is very good at describing the bleaker side of Yorkshire. It makes a change from the straight travel style books or detective stories (which don’t count as travel) that have been featured.

It’s years since I read it (and I didn’t ‘do’ it at school). I seem to remember it was well written love story with a happy ending, as well as a statement of the harsh conditions/choices facing many women at the time.

ESW
Lincolnshire

Going back to the original topic, I was under the impression that the ‘Book Club’ would be books relating to travel in one way or another. The first was Sardinia and since then various travel destinations and subjects relating to travel have been chosen. Why has it changed @AndrewMorris

As @coolonespa has already said “No such restrictions here on the Forum, you can discuss any book you like in the “What are you reading” thread or start another Thread…..were very flexible”

The question still remains, why choose Jayne Eyre!!

London

coolonespa wrote:

So on a travel theme….has anyone been anywhere that reminds them of Yorkshire?

I was on military manoeuvres on the Yorkshire Moors in the 60’s, does that count!!

London

Relevant today when you read that an autistic young girl is put in a mental institute as are many people with mental illnesses. And for me personally the need for Rochester to form a loving relationship was very similar to my sister’s husband who had been caring for her for several years at home as she developed VERY early onset dementia and she was eventually cared for in a care home He contacted our family after several years when she no longer knew anyone, to tell us he was in a new relationship and whilst he would still look after her every need, he wanted his life back and asked for our approval. He is now married to this lovely lady who also helped him care for my sister who died at the age of 62.

As for walking away from men who exploit women – I wish there was no need for women’s refuges, forced marriages, etc, etc.

@Fossil wrote:

Prefer something more up to date involving travelling the world, especially to places I would like to visit but am unlikely to get to.

Totally agree

@iwent wrote:

would you mind if we focused on the original classic novel

I think Andrew said that because you mentioned another book in the comments on this month’s selection. No such restrictions here on the Forum, you can discuss any book you like in the “What are you reading” thread or start another Thread…..were very flexible

So on a travel theme….has anyone been anywhere that reminds them of Yorkshire?

Essex UK

For my part, I seem to remember the teachers insisting we look at the historic elements within the book. What we could learn of life in those times. How awful to be an orphan. Or poor. How harsh the times were.

Oh, and I seem to remember my teacher’s take on it was that, despite all those things stacked up against Jane Eyre she managed, by being “a strong woman” to take control of her life.
And I thought she was (later) supposed to be actually in love with Rochester.

Meanwhile, the Wide Sargasso Sea questions the whole thing of her (Bertha Antoinette Mason) madness, and puts a new light on the whole scenario.

Maybe we should ask Andre Morris to choose that book for January, so that we really can discuss both books in conjunction?

Well well, we’ve got some differing opinions here.

@Coolonespa wrote:

so crack on with any discussion you wish

yet @SilverTravelEditor (might that be @AndrewMorris ?) wrote:

would you mind if we focused on the original classic novel

Unfortunately it seems that many of our number had the novel spoilt for them because:
@Fossil wrote:

people of my age had it on their school reading curriculum

Nonetheless differing opinions fly, eg
@Elgee wrote:

still relevant today

Whereas JoCarroll is sure we’ve:

moved beyond locking mad women in attics, or pretty young women feeling unable to walk away from grumpy older men who exploit them

And while @
Cruzeroqueen1 wrote:

‘of it’s day’, as were most of the Austen and Bronte novels

Our thread Teachers’ favourite 100 books has Jane Eyre at number 5, and another Bronte plus Jane Austen all within the top five.

Sign in to add your message