Welcome to our forums.

Silver Travel Book Club - Book of the Month - August 2019

I love caves and have visited several in the UK, in Derbyshire and in Wookey Hole. But my favourite caves are in Postojna Caves in Slovenia. A long train journey takes you into the heart of the system, where you see stalactites and stalagmites in amazing shapes, such as the Skyscraper. We hoped to see the olm or human fish, but one was giving birth so the vivariun was closed. Pour journey ended in a massive cave known as the Cathedral – I was with the University of Warwick Chorus, so we sang two songs in the most unique venue we’d ever performed in. What an experience!

Coventry

AndrewMorris wrote:

AndrewMorris
22:03 31-Jul-19

Thanks for the first comment on August’s Book Club choice @Cruzeroqueen1 – I’ve seen pictures of the remarkable Easter Island Moai, and I remember that David Moore wrote about them in his book ‘Turning Left Around the World’, our Silver Travel Book Club choice back in September 2018:
https://www.silvertraveladvisor.com/blog/silver-gap-years-and-bucket-list-travels/turning-left-around-the-world

In a similar vein, I was astonished by the story of the Giants of Mont’e Prama, stone figures built around a burial site by the Nuraghic civilisation in Sardinia, possibly as far back as the 11th century BC. But they weren’t discovered until the 1970s, when a farmer stumbled across them in one of his fields!
http://greatescapations.com/secret-sardinia.html

Thanks for those links @AndrewMorris – thoroughly enjoyed them, particularly the first one.

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

Thanks for the first comment on August’s Book Club choice @Cruzeroqueen1 – I’ve seen pictures of the remarkable Easter Island Moai, and I remember that David Moore wrote about them in his book ‘Turning Left Around the World’, our Silver Travel Book Club choice back in September 2018:
https://www.silvertraveladvisor.com/blog/silver-gap-years-and-bucket-list-travels/turning-left-around-the-world

In a similar vein, I was astonished by the story of the Giants of Mont’e Prama, stone figures built around a burial site by the Nuraghic civilisation in Sardinia, possibly as far back as the 11th century BC. But they weren’t discovered until the 1970s, when a farmer stumbled across them in one of his fields!
http://greatescapations.com/secret-sardinia.html

Looking forward to hearing other interesting ‘Underland’ (or ‘Overland’!) stories from Silver Travel Book Club members throughout August….

That sounds a wonderful read! After an amazing visit to Easter Island some 12 years ago, I was
fascinated to learn, some time afterwards, that a French archaelogist had excavated some of the
Moai to find that they were full-length statues and not just heads.

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

This month the Silver Travel Book Club – proudly sponsored by Emerald Waterways – is reading Underland: A Deep Time Journey, by Robert Macfarlane.

Discover the hidden worlds beneath our feet

In Underland, Robert Macfarlane takes us on a journey into the worlds beneath our feet. From the ice-blue depths of Greenland’s glaciers, to the underground networks by which trees communicate, from Bronze Age burial chambers to the rock art of remote Arctic sea-caves, this is a deep-time voyage into the planet’s past and future.

Global in its geography, gripping in its voice and haunting in its implications, Underland is a work of huge range and power, and a remarkable new chapter in Macfarlane’s long-term exploration of landscape and the human heart

How to win a copy:

What interesting things have you stumbled across on your own ‘deep-time voyage’, whether above or below ground? Dig into the crevices of your own travel memories, and let us know.

Join this Forum thread or comment on Silver Travel’s Facebook page and the most interesting two entries from Silver Travellers will each win a copy of Underland.

35 Posts
This thread is locked. This means you can't add a response.
Sign in to add your message