Welcome to our forums.

Silver Travel Book Club - Book of the Month - May 2019

Congratulations @Shirley and @JKM – you’ve both won a copy of the Silver Travel Book Club book of the month in May – ‘The People We Were Before’ by Annabelle Thorpe.

You should shortly receive your copy of the book, and we hope you enjoy reading this sweeping story of love and loss at the time of the most recent Balkan conflict.

Andrew
Literary Editor

I’d love to visit Croatia. It sounds like a great book too!

Anywhere in the world is an interesting place to visit.

I have been to Croatia a number of times. A beautiful country. This book sounds very interesting and I look forward to reading it!

Fabulous ship, would love to win this trip

Visited Dubrovnik on Christmas Eve several years ago. We trooped off the ship in our walking gear ready for a long day of sightseeing to be greeted by Dubrovnik’s locals all in their very best finery. All the men were looking sharp in dark suits, shirts and ties and the young women were looking fabulous in full make-up, fashionable dresses and very high heels. Never have I felt more drab and dowdy!

Thanks Silver Travel Book Club members for all the insightful comments about your own travel experiences in and around Croatia.

I’m nearing the end of a very rewarding cruise with Book Club sponsor Emerald Waterways, down the lower Danube from Budapest to the riverbank close to Bucharest, stopping short of where this great European river spills out into the Black Sea.

I’ll write separately about other books I’ve read along the route – through Hungary, Croatia, Serbia, Bulgaria & Romania – but the Book Club choice this month is the perfect read for this itinerary.

Annabelle Thorpe’s ‘The People We Were Before’ may be fiction, but her characters and story bring perfectly to life the layers of history and resentment that bubbled under the surface, until erupting again to bring the most recent Balkan conflict.

The story tells of a sad rupture of love, family and friendship between Croats, Serbs and Bosnians, from 1989 until the early 2000s. We have heard here very differing views on religion, fault and blame, only reinforcing how fiction can be a powerful messenger.

Keep those comments coming. The two best will win a copy of a very readable book, set in this interesting but often conflict-ridden part of Europe.

Andrew
Literary Editor
The Silver Travel Book Club

We stayed in Zadar and then travelled to the Plitvice Lakes area. The guest house that we stayed in there was run by a gentleman who had on speaking with him been badly treated and affected by the war in the area. However he was determined to build a better future for his family and move forward. His generosity and kindness to us during our stay was incredible and we felt like part of the family by the time we left.

Wrexham

How wonderful that Annabelle commented on the book club.I have not been to this area but would love to.Despite problems in the past in the area,it still seems worth visiting.

I would love to read this book, having just returned from a holiday in Croatia yesterday. Having been there 30 years ago before the homeland war, it was so interesting to see how the people have moved on, however many scars of war still evident. Wonderful scenery, welcoming people, no language barrier and inexpensive ( outside of Dubrovnik old town!!)
This read will surely inspire people to visit.

Shirley

32 Posts
Sign in to add your message