Welcome to our forums.

Silver Travel Book Club - Book of the Month - April 2019

Thanks for sharing these events.

@Grey-Wolf – can you please check your email? We’ve asked that you please confirm your home address, and the book will find its way to you very quickly thereafter!

Thanks, sorry for the delay and enjoy the book!

@AndrewMorris have the books been sent out yet ? Still waiting for mine…

Wakefield, West Yorks.

Many thanks indeed @AndrewMorris and @coolonespa, look forward to reading that !

Wakefield, West Yorks.

Well done @FlyingFlish and @Grey-Wolf enjoy the book.

Essex UK

Congratulations @FlyingFlish and @Grey-Wolf who have both won a copy of our April Book of the Month – ‘The 50 Greatest Castles and Palaces of the World’ by Gilly Pickup.

The book will be landing on their doormats soon, and we hope they enjoy reading this tour of 50 of the world’s greatest castles and palaces, filled with humour, interesting facts and tips on how best to visit them.

May’s Book of the Month has been announced on the Book Club home page and you can start leaving comments on the Forum thread here.

Happy reading and happy travelling!

Andrew
Literary Editor

There have been so many it is difficult to choose! Reading the other posts have brought back some more memories. I love the yew tree at Skipton Castle @GypsyWanderer and the Alhambra was certainly memorable @GBG. I was lucky enough to be there in May on a sunny day and the gardens were lovely.
One castle that stands out in my mind is Neuschwanstein. I had wanted to see it for so long then finally did on a trip to Austria and Germany that took me to a number of Mad King Ludwig’s castles. It was breathtaking to see it from the trail in the woods and the murals inside depicting scenes from Wagner’s operas were stunning. One that did not live up to the hype was the Palace of Versaille possibly due to all the crowds. Another long awaited visit that was worth the wait was to the Palace of Peterhof – modelled on Versaille, I felt if far surpassed the French original. Not only were there no crowds so we were able to enjoy the opulence in relative peace and quiet with enough time to take it all in, the grounds were also stunning, from the cascade fountain to all the flowers and trees. Even in the rain, it was a delight. For stunning location, the castle of kings, Bamburgh Castle, is my current favourite. This imposing structure, right on the northwest coast of Northumberland is also impressive from the inside out; it is wonderful to see the incoming waves on the beach when looking out from the castle walls. However, the one that stands out to me at the moment is one I have yet to be in; Alnwick Castle. Although we spent time in Alnwick a couple of years ago, we only managed to visit the town, including Barter Books, and the gardens which are lovely. We saw an intriguing view of the castle from a walk we took in the woods. Next time I’m in the area, I’d love to see inside this majestic building.

Cardiff Castle is in the centre of the city and is very unusual. It is a mix of very old original features dating from 11th century to and some very unique and unexpected features. I particularly like the Arab Room with its ornate ceiling. The clock tower has panoramic views over Cardiff to the docks and the wall outside the castle has interesting animals along it.

In 1972 I visited the Palace of Mateus Rose. There was a tattered flag flying at half mast.
I was very interested to learn that the owner had died, and it was the custom that a period
of mourning would last until the elements had completely destroyed the flag.

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

@Grey-Wolf – thanks for saying why you found Schloss Kufstein so special. I was there, just last summer, but would love to see it in the deep midwinter like you did.

This month’s Silver Travel Book Club choice is The 50 Greatest Castles and Palaces of the World by Gilly Pickup.

How to win a copy of the book:

Which castles and palaces around the world – or here at home in the UK – have you visited, and which has lingered longest in your travelling memory? And why….?

Join this Forum thread (or comment on Silver Travel’s Facebook page) and the most interesting two entries from Silver Travellers will each win a copy of The 50 Greatest Castles and Palaces of the World.

26 Posts
Sign in to add your message