Welcome to our forums.

Silver Travel Book Club - Book of the Month - January 2019

My most memorable meal was in Budapest. It was December and freezing and my husband and I were looking to get out of the cold and eat some warm food. We saw a restaurant with a queue and my husband said “it’s always a good sign if it’s popular with the locals”. We duly queued and eventually sat at a rather utilitarian table. A waitress brought two bowls of food – no menu here! It was wild venison with red currants slow cooked with potatoes and vegetables. Absolutely delicious. I noticed several strange looks from other diners, but ignored them. When we finished and asked to pay, a man came over and told us we were actually in the workers canteen of the Budvar brewery! How embarrassing! He refused to take any money but ushered us out quickly!

Thanks @sallyD for a great first comment on the Silver Travel Book Club book of the month for January, and a very Happy New Year to you too.

My Secret Santa present this year was a copy of Food Trails. Santa knows me so well. ‘52 perfect weekends in the world’s tastiest destinations’….I’m drooling already, planning and reminiscing.

My own most memorable food experience was probably in Buenos Aires. We ate in a cavernous hall, steaks the size of Argentina filling the table, and surrounded by noisy families – including very young children – as midnight approached.

But perhaps some even more adventurous foodie travel is yet to come. We are proud to have Emerald Waterways sponsoring the Silver Travel Book Club. And in May 2019 I’ll be setting sail on their Enchantment of Eastern Europe cruise, reading and reporting on books set along the way. But I’m also really looking to new food experiences, both on board and on dry land, from Budapest to Bucharest on the Danube and passing through Hungary, Croatia, Serbia and Romania.

Travel, food and books – what a glorious trilogy!

Happy New Year to all Silver Travellers and Silver Travel Book Club members. Enjoy a Food Trail journey or two in 2019.

Andrew
Literary Editor
The Silver Travel Book Club

Hi @AndrewMorris & Happy New Year!
For me, travel and food go hand in hand, so this book is a must. It is so hard to pick a favourite meal but I must mention the incredible dinner menu on Brittany Ferries Pont Aven that sails between Uk and Spain. I am sure many of our members have discovered this reasonably priced feast but just in case….
Three courses costed £25 last time we travelled. Included is a sumptuous cold buffet of starters, fish meat, cheese, pate etc etc. nobody minds if you go back for second helpings! Then a quality main course served at your table, all white linen, friendly servers, and if you are lucky, a table by the window. Lastly a delightful dessert buffet that can keep me busy for quite a while!

The popularity of this service is obvious as the queue to book a table starts as soon as you board so be quick.

This month the Silver Travel Book Club, proudly sponsored by Emerald Waterways, will be all about the mouth-watering Food Trails from Lonely Planet – ‘Plan 52 perfect weekends in the world’s tastiest destinations’.

For everyone who loves travel and trying the local delicacies, this beautifully illustrated hardback is the must-have handbook to a year’s worth of perfect weekends around the world for food lovers. Featured trails include an homage to Buenos Aires steak, cosy wintertime French Canadian cuisine, Puglia’s distinctive dishes, and Parisian patisserie. Each trail is an itinerary, detailing when and where to indulge in the local specialties. There are 52 trails, each with gorgeous photography, a bespoke map, expert writing and practical details of how to get there and where to stay.

The 52 itineraries cover the whole globe. In the Americas we try seafood chowder in Maine; creole and cajun food in the Deep South; barbecue in Texas; and Hawaii’s island food among other taste sensations. In Europe we discover the mouth-watering cuisines of Crete, Italy, Denmark, England, Spain, Germany, Iceland, Ireland and other countries. Prepare for spice in Asia as we go to India, Vietnam and Malaysia for street food; Japan for sushi and South Korea for barbecue. In Australia and New Zealand, experiences include the farm-to-table scene in Tasmania, Melbourne’s melting pot of cuisines and seafood in Auckland. Wherever you are in the world, there will be a trip

Each itinerary features about a dozen stops, including food markets, must-visit restaurants and shops or opportunities to meet food makers or providers. Each is reviewed by Lonely Planet’s authors who have visited the place. Practical details are provided so readers can make bookings and tailor their own trips. A section at the end of each itinerary suggests places to stay and lists events that take place during the year. Great photography adds visual appeal to every itinerary, each of which has an illustrated map, showing the route hungry travellers should take

What has been your own most memorable meal or food experience whilst travelling? A Michelin-starred gourmet feast in the Loire Valley, or something unidentifiable in an Asian street? The famous scallop pie in Hobart’s Salamanca Market, or an ostrich steak on a farm in the Cape?

Join this Forum thread or comment on Silver Travel’s Facebook page and the best two entries from Silver Travellers will each win a copy of Food Trails.

24 Posts
This thread is locked. This means you can't add a response.
Sign in to add your message