Welcome to our forums.

Silver Travel Book Club - Book of the Month - September 2018

Lots of big travel stories on the forum. The most I have done is one trip around the world to the right, from London, to the Middle East, and Sydney for 3 weeks in Australia, then on to Auckland for a week in New Zealand, I remember I had picked up a bit of a cold and the smell in Rotorua cured me in a day – those hot springs are good! Flew back to Singapore for the week-end and then back to London. It was a great 6 weeks, and I would love to win the book and read about the world to the left! I think I had less jet lag going to the right – I wonder if that is so or not?!

Great picture of @davidcmoore and Helene on the Great Wall of China. Have you totted up how many ‘Magic Kingdom Moments’ you had on the trip, David?

Good TBV tips from David for @CCH – Myanmar & Cambodia.

The Silver Travel Book Club, in partnership with TripFiction, introduces books to enhance members’ travel experiences, whether physically or ‘virtually’. But films have often had the same effect on me. ‘Missing’ with Sissy Spacek and Jack Lemon inspired me to go to Chile, and ‘The Killing Fields’ left an indelible impression about the civil war and life under the heinous Khmer Rouge regime. David’s book Turning Left Around The World paints a much more rounded picture of this beautiful country, and the temples of Angkor Wat sound unmissable.

Hi @CCH
I agree with you, China was a great experience and standing for the first time on the Great Wall of China was emotional – we call it a ‘Magic Kingdom Moment’ in the family, when Helene just can’t keep the emotion in…

On your TBV’s may I suggest Cambodia to visit all the wonderful temples in Angkor Wat, perhaps combine it with Myanmar – an extraordinart culture
Regards
David

Good Luck @bettyc
We share our passions for reading and travelling
Regards
David

Since I retired I’ve enjoyed reading and travelling and this book looks ideal for both interests. Hope I win this book.

The Bay

Thanks @CCH for your inspiring reply to @davidcmoore and his own adventures Turning Left Around The World.

What a brilliant trip you had to China too. It sounds as though the team at Audley Travel can create an itinerary to suit anyone’s needs, with great customer service every step of the way.

Good luck getting to those other exciting places you mention and, as you say, happy travels to us all. And happy reading!

Andrew

What a marvellous adventure…and still more (Moore?) to come!
I would love to read all about your travels!
My first post retirement trip was to China, a long-held dream of mine.
Due to mobility issues, I could not join a regular tour, so like you, turned to Audley Travel for help.
They did me proud with a wonderful trip, from Beijing, the Forbidden City & the Great Wall at Badaling, via the Terracotta Warriors & the Giant Pandas, to a river cruise in the South & thence to Shanghai!
I loved every minute of it & even though I had to use a wheelchair for much of the time, I didn’t feel that I missed out on anything!
My real highlights were standing on the Great Wall, having never thought I’d manage to climb any part of it, & seeing so many Giant Pandas at close quarters!
I still have many places on my TBV (to be visited) list, South America, the Galapagos, Botswana to visit Mma Ramotswe etc!
Here’s to many happy travels for us all! :)

Great to hear that you enjoyed the Q&A with David & Helene, @Kay9 – 30 countries in 10 months, quite a journey and portrayed so entertainingly and interestingly in ‘Turning Left Around The World’ by @davidcmoore .

I’ve gone the ‘little and often’ travel route like you (though not as far-flung), since retiring, rather than David & Helene’s full-on world tour. But some friends are just coming to the end of 18 months (!) travelling in a camper van around Europe, immediately after finishing work. Looking forward to hearing if they suffered from any ‘travel fatigue’!

I’d love to hear how your 4 month itinerary pans out @Kay9 – happy travels and happy reading.

Andrew

Hi Kay9
Yes, you’re right about the Galapagos limiting numbers of visitors, time on islands and restricting the routes – all to protect the wildlife’s natural habitat and way of life I guess
On the question of book publishing; I started writing what I called ‘Moore Ramblings’ for my adult children, to help them share the experience in a better way than just Facebook, Instagram etc can.
Friends started to ask for a copy and it just escalated, the Ramblings became a blog and the blog a book when someone suggested I sent the first few to a publisher. I was extremely lucky that the first one I spoke with offered to publish.
So, as I said to @AndrewMorris I am an accidental author, but thoroughly enjoying the experience

Hi David
No not been to Galapagos did the poor man’s island which was good.put off Galapagos as you can only walk on certain paths and time limited.
Now looking at Assam.thanks for the insurance advice, we’re away for 4 months next so will look into this if I have a problem. Happy travels. Oh yes how hard was it to get your book published??

Driffield
32 Posts
Sign in to add your message