Welcome to our forums.

Postal competitions

I have not done anything postal for several years. The last thing to fall by the roadside was Christmas cards; I now make an annual donation to the Salvation Army, which family and friends understand and accept. As for competitions, I am very selective in terms of the potential prize (do I really want it and, if it is a holiday, is it one that I will be able to take?) and the data collected. I am happy to provide an email address since I can easily filter and control emails and, to a lesser extent, a home phone number since any caller not in my address book will go straight to answer phone; but I will not provide a mobile number, no matter what the prize on offer. Of course, there is always the possibility that I will miss a prize notification, but this is a risk that I am willing to take.

Rarely do them now, sometimes the odd, little known local one, where you have a greater chance than usual of winning , it’s worth the investment…top top : always choose an eye catching post card, the quirkier the better.

I do remember the days when postage stamps just amounted to little more than loose pocket change; not so now.

One example is TV Choice Magazine who run a weekly easy peasy £500 prize crossword plus holiday prizes. I used to do that one religiously for the sake of a 2nd class stamp (never won it). I notice now that for that same competition there is no longer a postal option it’s either email/text/phone in for entries.

Last Edited by GreyWolf at 12 Jan 21:53

I have entered competitions for over 30 years now. In the 1980s and 1990s I won a few here and there, most of which were postal but for the last 10 years not a thing! It seems if you are not into social media but a dinosaur like me, your competition winning days are over. I haven’t won a single thing for five years now and I have to say the enthusiasm is definitely waning. I don’t want to join the facebook/ twitter/ Instagram gang. I don’t mind email and internet competitions but don’t want to spend my life checking social media to see if I might have won a minor prize. Bring back the good old days eh?!

Welcome @NannyC to our Silver Travel Forum – we hope that you enjoy being part of our friendly group of Silver Travellers. Please feel free to contact one of the moderators if you have any queries about using the Forum.

I don’t think I’ve entered one by post for many years now, what few comps I enter is always done on-line.

Essex UK

Does anyone still enter, and more importantly win, competitions by post?

Northampton
5 Posts
Sign in to add your message

Threads possibly related to this one