The Silver Travel Forum – important update

Our Forum is now only available to read rather than to contribute to discussions. You can still access all threads, but you will no longer be able to add your own comments. If you would like to write a review instead, please click here.

If you have any questions, please contact [email protected]

Northumberland - Hadrian's Wall and the South Tyne

PART 1 – GENERAL INFORMATION

To most people Northumberland IS Hadrian’s Wall. There is now a long distance Trail along the wall which offers great walking through some of the best scenery in England.
http://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/hadrians … p?PageId=1

I’ll not cover the antiquities here, I’ll deal with them in a separate thread in UK and Overseas Travel. This thread just covers walks. I’ve picked out our favourite walks but there are lots more, and suggestions and details of other peoples walks are welcomed.

While I have tried to find maps and descriptions for all the walks described, it is best to be prepared with a map.
OS Landranger map 87 covers this stretch of the wall.
tinyurl.com/7yr7v29
Although, if you want to go further west than Haltwhistle, you will need map 86 as well.
tinyurl.com/6lmpb9m
Alternatively, the Explorer Map (1:25000) covers all of the Wall.
tinyurl.com/76xnw3d

For those wanting to walk one way, in summer the Hadrian’s Wall bus can be used to get you back to your starting point.

You will also need sturdy shoes or boots as stiles and gateways can get very muddy after the rain. You are asked not to walk on the wall itself. Be warned there are a lot of ups and downs in places, but the scenery is dramatic. Listen for the bubbling call of the curlew – the bird shown on all signs for the Northumberland National Park.

ESW
Lincolnshire
11 Posts
Sign in to add your message