The Silver Travel Forum – important update

Our Forum is now only available to read rather than to contribute to discussions. You can still access all threads, but you will no longer be able to add your own comments. If you would like to write a review instead, please click here.

If you have any questions, please contact [email protected]

Latest phone scams...

Not a phone scam, but I’ve received the same email scam twice this week…..one of those home working things, where you can make hundreds of £££ by placing links on the internet.
When you check it out, it’s the same as those nasty little adverts which used to appear in papers years ago….my mother sent £8, and received sheets of names, badly photocopied, and ideas of how to use them ie rubbish!
This scam takes $2 .75 from your cc….sounds reasonable….and then takes $135 for the next stage….a list of links which any marketing agent would scoff at!
The people who posted it on to me are both retired professionals, who’ve sent me hoax/spam emails before, without checking with Snopes or Hoax Slayer. In this case, you only have to put the name of the company in the search engine to find out it’s a scam!

Nr. Seascale, Cumbria

A new one today – solar energy and government incentives…. It makes a change.

ESW
Lincolnshire

The best thing I ever invested in – my answerphone, I don’t get to answer any of these calls anymore.

Family and friends have their own ring-tone and everyone else has to speak before we pick up.

Works like a dream…….Brilliant.

Bedford

This may be neither summat nor nowt but we had one the other day from the local council doing a consumer survey at around 7pm (???). Enquiring about where clothes, electricals etc. are bought. Then the line went dead. Not just for the call but the whole phone system. Dead as a Dodo. For ten-twenty minutes…

Wakefield, West Yorks.

I had a new one today, someone rang wanting to know if I wanted my oven professionaly cleaned.

As Grandson had just been comprehensively sick all over the bathroom I told her I needed that professionally cleaned and didn’t have time to worry about my oven…

ESW
Lincolnshire
I had a call yesterday with an automated message in an Elivis sounding voice that said:
You have won a prize! You can choose from either £500 or a West End show. Press 1 for the money, 2 for the show…..
Sorry, sorry, but that one fitted so well here

Oohh, you’ve got a cruel streak, coolonespa

I know, sometimes I can’t resist

Essex UK
I had a call yesterday with an automated message in an Elivis sounding voice that said:
You have won a prize! You can choose from either £500 or a West End show. Press 1 for the money, 2 for the show…..

Oohh, you’ve got a cruel streak, coolonespa

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

Essex UK

Had another two recorded messages today. One telling us we just had today left to make a claim on money owed to us. We had to act immediately as this chance would not be available tomorrow…

The other told me I was due £1000 on my under 60s pension and to press 5 for details or 9 to unsubscribe. Interestingly neither had blocked their number, both 0161. I tried ringing after 7pm when we get free calls and got a recorded message saying they were sales and marketing calls and not to worry if we had missed them, and they may ring back. Doing a google search on the numbers there were a lot complaints about them. Many said TPS couldn’t do anything as they were recorded messages and others suggested you report them to the Information Commissioner’s Office.

When I tried I got the comment ’This survey is not currently available. Please try again later." Sounds as if they are a bit busy…

ESW
Lincolnshire
Strange we all seem to bank at the same branch – please PM me your account number and I will transfer the money from your recent lottery win which was paid into my account in error…….

Mohamed
Essex UK
Sign in to add your message