Welcome to our forums.

What makes for a good pub?

10 Posts

It’s those "Irish theme pubs" that get my goat. About as Irish as a Babycham.

Wakefield, West Yorks.
Rather not. I was very nearly shaken and stirred before I left.

Good one

Essex UK

Rather not. I was very nearly shaken and stirred before I left.

Wakefield, West Yorks.
That would be funny were it not for the fact that a certain wayward young relative of mine said just that about me to "show me off" to the locals…"This is my cousin who works for MI5."

This particular pub attracts a rather motley array of miscreants and jailbirds and they all believed him…

…conversation stopped. Heads turned. Eyes pierced me. I feared for my life expectancy. I haven’t been in since. Neither has he. Nor will do again.

Oh dear, I do hope you got to finish your Vodka Martini (shaken not stirred) before you left.

Essex UK

That would be funny were it not for the fact that a certain wayward young relative of mine said just that about me to "show me off" to the locals…"This is my cousin who works for MI5."

This particular pub attracts a rather motley array of miscreants and jailbirds and they all believed him…

…conversation stopped. Heads turned. Eyes pierced me. I feared for my life expectancy. I haven’t been in since. Neither has he. Nor will do again.

Wakefield, West Yorks.
Where I live I can name about a dozen pubs I simply wouldn’t go in period.

As to which ones … depends who’s in and who I’m with.

That’s one of the drawbacks of being on Her Majesty’s Service 007

Essex UK

Where I live I can name about a dozen pubs I simply wouldn’t go in period.

As to which ones … depends who’s in and who I’m with.

Wakefield, West Yorks.

Preferably a village pub, with enough rooms to cater for all tastes. My favourite one has a snug, with darts; a games room with billiards; a small dining room for parties, then a large room with log fires where anything else can take place, and both restaurant meals and pub grub. It also has its own brewery, so there’s a choice of drinks to sample…There’s a garden, with a marquee, and plenty of benches- and views of high peaks.
The dress code is simple- leave muddy boots in the porch…
Jo.

Nr. Seascale, Cumbria

Banning smoking was the thing for me. Pretty much given up on them until the ban came in. No juke box or games machines. Don’t mind the TV if the sound is off. Mainly visit now for food, so that’s a must.

Essex UK

Well kept real ale for a start….No juke box or TV. Open fire in winter and friendly locals. Any other requisits?

ESW
Lincolnshire
10 Posts
Sign in to add your message