Welcome to our forums.

Using up left overs

10 Posts

Yes, most of my meals seem to be cooked in the slow cooker- favourite being the smoked gammon joint from the Coop, which is the best tasting one we’ve had. I also keep stuff warm, so long as there’s moisture in it- kedgeree or other rice dishes.
Jo.

Nr. Seascale, Cumbria
I think slow cookers should be provided to everyone in the country by the Government..for the price of a light bulb to power it…you can leave it on all day, overnight – soup, stew, roast, broil, fry just about anything with anything else.

I was brought up on bubble’n’squeak which I guess someone like Jamie Oliver could probably trendify.

Slow cookers get my vote, love using mine.

Essex UK

Have you found out if they’re covered by RSPB ? If not…nets might do it….before…well… a certain Alfred Hitchcock film comes to mind…

Wakefield, West Yorks.

…which might be one way of reducing wood pigeon numbers in the garden. All I need is a way of catching them.

ESW
Lincolnshire

Woodpigeon pie was quite a delicacy way back when ESW

Wakefield, West Yorks.

With a fried egg on top that was real luxury. I still enjoy it. It does need plenty of brown sauce too.

ESW
Lincolnshire

I think slow cookers should be provided to everyone in the country by the Government..for the price of a light bulb to power it…you can leave it on all day, overnight – soup, stew, roast, broil, fry just about anything with anything else.

I was brought up on bubble’n’squeak which I guess someone like Jamie Oliver could probably trendify.

Wakefield, West Yorks.

Waste food? As one war baby to another- everything makes soup…..
Jo.

Nr. Seascale, Cumbria

We tend not to have any. It took us a long time to adjust our buying & cooking habits after the kids moved out & it’s just the two of us, but I think we’ve got there now. Sometimes it’s too hard to adjust recipes or buy small enough quantities, so well just make for 4 & freeze 2 portions. I’m fortunate to not have experienced food rationing, I just hate waste.

Essex UK

I saw figures for the average amount of food thrown out by households in Britain and was horrified. I can’t remember what the figure was now and doing a google search threw up this article on Wikipedia which makes for interesting reading.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_waste … ed_Kingdom

Maybe as a product of WW2 and food rationing I am a meanie and loth to throw anything away. The only thing thrown out here are the contents of used tea bags and fruit and vegetable peelings and they all go into the home composter. I sometimes look in daughters waste bin and am horrified by the amount of usable fruit and veg that is being thrown out. I keep telling her that I’ll use them up! It’s not that she doesn’t know how to cook although she doesn’t have much time to cook now.

What do others do with left overs?

ESW
Lincolnshire
10 Posts
Sign in to add your message