The Silver Travel Forum – important update

Our Forum is now only available to read rather than to contribute to discussions. You can still access all threads, but you will no longer be able to add your own comments. If you would like to write a review instead, please click here.

If you have any questions, please contact [email protected]

Changes to the Forum

Adios amigos xx

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

It’s interesting to read the various posts but times have changed, We used to meet members at the cruise shows and other exhibitions that STA used to exhibit at, I remember meeting applegroupie at them several times but they have now all finished and are filed in the ‘Folder of Memories’. They were also a recruiting ground for the forum.

Coolonespa and I speak regularly, and cruzeroqueen1 I hear from by email, long may this continue. Cruzeroqueen1 described it as a small community, she was correct, that is exactly what it has been, a small number of friendly individuals meeting for a common purpose. It has been fun mostly, apart from the occasions when people have come on trying to disrupt it.

Personally I can’t see the forum revived in the future, times have moved on. There is of course the STA Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/SilverTravelAdvisor/
for those wishing to remain in contact with STA and of course the main site leading to articles, advice, supplements etc. https://www.silvertraveladvisor.com

As Steve said “We can be content that we’ve helped many, many people over the years with their travel plans by sharing our collective knowledge” so it hasn’t been in vein.

London

applegroupie wrote:

I managed to get onto the Forum via the More tab

Well spotted. This additional change was made in addition to the ones I mentioned above.

Cruzeroqueen1 wrote:

and felt that a few of us
‘regulars’ were like a ‘’small community’

That’s nice to hear & I certainly felt that way too.

applegroupie wrote:

the Forum can resume

I think that’s unlikely but never say never

We can be content that we’ve helped many, many people over the years with their travel plans by sharing our collective knowledge.

Essex UK

Cruzeroqueen1 wrote:

I am sorry to see it end

Me too! The Forum has been very quiet since lockdown began. I did enjoy my time as a member of the Forum. Perhaps when travels are back to normal, if it ever gets back to normal, the Forum can resume. One can only hope!

All the best to you too.

Last Edited by applegroupie at 26 Sep 17:10

applegroupie wrote:

applegroupie
16:10 26-Sep-20

Cruzeroqueen1 wrote:

The end of an era……………………..;)

Ditto @Cruzeroqueen1

I managed to get onto the Forum via the More tab. Hope we can still be able to do that once the changes have been completed. Hopefully the Forum will be reactivated sometime in the future?

Sadly, I think it unlikely, @applegroupie – for the last week or so, the only posts have been coolonespa’s questions
and answers quiz, and that ended yesterday. Most of the threads haven’t had any contributions for quite a few
weeks, apart from some ‘spam’ . I am sorry to see it end as I’ve ‘popped in’ on most days, and felt that a few of us
‘regulars’ were like a ‘’small community’. Best wishes.

Cruzeroqueen1 wrote:

Ditto @Cruzeroqueen1

I managed to get onto the Forum via the More tab. Hope we can still be able to do that once the changes have been completed. Hopefully the Forum will be reactivated sometime in the future?

coolonespa wrote:

we will be removing the Forum links from the Silvertraveladvisor Home Page, specifically:

- Removing the tab that currently sits between “Reviews” & “Features”

- Removing the “Latest Forum Discussions” Box

As previously advised, these changes have now been made.

Essex UK

Indeed it will be Gill.

Essex UK

Certainly this Forum, & others we have looked at, started their decline long before the pandemic started. We did think that, particularly during lockdown, the Forum would be get a boost as people sought to communicate when largely they were confined within their homes. That never really materialised after a brief flurry of activity it probably slower to even lower levels.

@LostInAmerica wrote:

reduces the options for getting first-hand advice

Even without the Forum there is a wealth of travel information you can access, first hand articles and reviews and we have seen little of the abuse you mention above on our site. You can also use the link below to “Ask an advisor”. The office will forward the query to one of us who either has first hand experience relating to your query or some knowledge of that area where possible to help with your query.

Where you find a review relating to your area of travel interest, you can still ask a query of the author. When you make a comment on their review, an e-mail will alert the author a comment has been made & hopefully they will respond.

As you say social media is another topic but I have been experimenting with social media during the pandemic & have found that its quite easy to build up a band of likeminded followers on Twitter that are nice people & stay away from the well publicised nonsense that goes on with these platforms. I’m happy to share my twitter ID if that would be of any interest & as I mentioned above, Silvertravadvisor have a social media presence.

https://www.silvertraveladvisor.com/contact-us

Essex UK
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message