Welcome to our forums.

Daily Quiz - Answers ***Read Questions Thread first***

Cruzeroqueen1 wrote:

It’s because men try to convince them that a thumb length is 8"

yorkshirecat wrote:

Congratulations upon reaching 100 Steve and keeping us brilliantly entertained!

Cruzeroqueen1 wrote:

Congratulations and thanks for the 100 questions, Steve.

You’re welcome, glad you’re still enjoying it

Another 100% for the 3 of you, well done.

Cruzeroqueen1 wrote:

All the funny old measurements amuse me

Yesterday on Twitter, tucked in amongst posts regarding deaths, the pandemic, mental health, protests, riots…..was a tweet from an American ranting about them not using the metric system of measurement. Just nice to see someone who has their priorities straight

Essex UK

yorkshirecat wrote:

I’m afraid I still use imperial measurements for everything. For social distancing of 2 meters, I imagine a prostrate Richard Osman (minus 1 inch) but I simply can’t get to grips with centimetres. I was sewing grass seed yesterday and the box said ‘rake over with 8 cm of soil’. In the words of Ultravox “It means nothing to me!”

I still think in old measurements as well, Carole – and in pounds, shilllings and pence, even though
I’ve been over here for almost 18 years. (And you know what they say about women parking cars,
don’t you? It’s because men try to convince them that a thumb length is 8")

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

Q98. Three Men & A Little Lady was the sequel to which 1987 film?
Three Men and a Baby (seen that but not the sequel

Q99. New Orleans is the largest city in which American state?
Louisiana (around about 1800 the US bought a huge amount
ot territory from France, and paid buttons for it – and it was
known as the ‘Louisiana Purchase’).

Q100. How many furlongs are there in a mile?
8. (All the funny old measurements amuse me and I can
always remember stuff like that, along with 22 yards in a chain,
3 miles in a league, 4840 sq. yds. to an acre, 6’ to a fathom
but weird ones like ‘rod, pole or perch’, ‘rood’, etc.

Congratulations and thanks for the 100 questions, Steve.

Congratulations upon reaching 100 Steve and keeping us brilliantly entertained! I’m happy to volunteer for tomorrow’s three questions (Thursday 18 June). It’s our local pub quiz tonight via Zoom so I’m sure to pick up three brain teasers.

98) Three Men & A Baby?
99) Louisiana
100) 8 – I’m afraid I still use imperial measurements for everything. For social distancing of 2 meters, I imagine a prostrate Richard Osman (minus 1 inch) but I simply can’t get to grips with centimetres. I was sewing grass seed yesterday and the box said ‘rake over with 8 cm of soil’. In the words of Ultravox “It means nothing to me!”

3 men and a baby
Louisiana

London

A perfect round, well done the three of you.

yorkshirecat wrote:

the camel I rode

Our funny camel story is that riding in a train, the girl on the camel in front turned to talk to us just as our camel sneezed. Absolutely covered her in snot, I’ve never seen so much

Fossil wrote:

Am I correct in thinking it only has one hump as the 2 hump variety does not come from the desert regi

It didn’t give anything about that in the answers but I thought both are found in desserts and plains. From the little I know the dromedary camel is present in North Africa and the Middle East, but the Bactrian camel can be found in Central Asia.

Cruzeroqueen1 wrote:

(A clever way to tell the difference between a Bactrian Camel and a Dromedary is:-
if you write down a B and a D on a piece of paper , then turn it sideways – 90 degrees – the
B has two ‘humps’ and the D only one!).

Great tip Gill

Essex UK

Q95. In the 1970s which African leader expelled Asians from Uganda?
Idi Amin

Q96. Which animal is known as the “Ship of the Desert”?
(Just the animal please, I know the joke too) (So do I, lol).
Camel. (A clever way to tell the difference between a Bactrian Camel and a Dromedary is:-
if you write down a B and a D on a piece of paper , then turn it sideways – 90 degrees – the
B has two ‘humps’ and the D only one!).

Q97. Which art form has Saint Cecilia as its patron?
Music/Musicians.

Idi Amin

Camel. Am I correct in thinking it only has one hump as the 2 hump variety does not come from the desert region?

Music.

London

Q95. In the 1970s which African leader expelled Asians from Uganda? The despot and murderer, Idi Amin

Q96. Which animal is known as the “Ship of the Desert”?
(Just the animal please, I know the joke too) – Camel of course. I’m afraid I don’t know the joke but the camel I rode across the desert to the Great Pyramid of Giza was a joker – it decided to join the Ministry of Silly Walks and shot off legs akimbo with me hanging on for dear life.

Q97. Which art form has Saint Cecilia as its patron? Hooray – you’ve given me the wonderful Cecilia by Simon and Garfunkel as today’s ear worm. So I’m not sure but I’m going to guess that it’s music.

John looking slightly concerned having seen me disappear into the far distance on my over excited camel (I’m the small speck in the far distance.)

Sign in to add your message

Threads possibly related to this one