Welcome to our forums.

Silver Travel Advisor's members' 100 Favourite Books

There have also been some great auto-biographies and biographies written, three of my favourites are Alan Sugar, Richard Branson and Simon Cowell, 3 men who made their own way in life and show that hard work pays off.

London

Jacks10 wrote:

No 1 Ladies Detective Agency books

That reminded me that James Patterson has a series about the Woman’s Murder Club and in fact the Alex Cross series is also great. Hard to nail it to a single book in each series but I’d just go for the first book of each one if we need to tie it down.

Lee Child’s Jack Reacher series, again so many are good, so just go for the first one.

What about Jaws by Peter Benchley Possibly my very first “I can’t put it down until I’m finished” book.

Essex UK

@DavidT I’m with you re Ian Rankin, Rebus and Edinburgh.

@Jacks10 Also with you re Alexander McCall Smith, both for Botswana (where you encounter Mma Ramotswe posters everywhere!) and too for Edinburgh with his 44 Scotland Street and Sunday Philosophy Club series.

And, in response to the nudge from @Fossil, a few more for the list:

Travel related…..Jung Chang Big Sister, Little Sister, Red Sister for China

Age related (as we’re all silver travellers )…Margaret Drabble The Dark Flood Rises
and Raymond Briggs Time for Lights Out

Finally, re. climate and other concerns of the day…Robert Macfarlane Underland
Richard Powers The Overstory
and Greta Thunberg’s collection of speeches: No One is too small to make a difference.

Last Edited by GeminiJen at 08 Dec 20:25
Gullane

I’ve been thinking about my first submissions for this selection; not easy because I could think of a hundred right away and then want to submit another hundred half an hour later. I’m going to try to concentrate on books that have stayed with me for a long time, rather than ones which were wonderful whilst reading but forgotten soon after.

I’ll start with The Born Free Trilogy by Joy Adamson. I discovered these books as a child (Born Free, Living Free, and Forever Free) and the story’s stayed with me ever since.

My second author is Agatha Christie. Everything she’s ever written, but specifically the Poirot series and the Marple series. I could read these books over and over, despite knowing “whowdunnit” from the start.

Any other fans out there?

Americanah by Chimemanda Ngozo Adichie

And for travel – A Short Walk in the Hindu Kush by Eric Newby

No need to panic @Fossil , we’ve only been looking for 40 hours. And I think a lot of people would like to take time to think about their choice/s.

Do we have any other suggestions, we have a long way to go to reach 100.

London

GeminiJen wrote:

Around the World in 80 Trains.by journalist Monisha Rajesh

You paint a marvellous picture of this book @GeminiJen and the book is now on my “to read” list.

Travel related recommendation

Around the World in 80 Trains.by journalist Monisha Rajesh

With her rucksack bursting at the seams and her fiancé in tow, journalist Monisha Rajesh set out on a 45,000-mile trek around the world.
Over the course of seven months and 80 train rides which circumnavigated the globe, the duo embarked on an adventure of a lifetime, starting in western Europe and linking to Russia, Mongolia, North Korea, Canada, Kazakhstan and beyond.
In the pages of this, her latest book on train travel (she previously wrote the book Around India in 80 Trains), Rajesh captures the passing countryside outside her train window and shares the stories of friendship and camaraderie she builds with fellow passengers.
So why travel by train instead of faster modes of transportation?
In her words: Trains…take the traveller into the nooks and crannies of a country and into the heart of its people.

Gullane

All the Dan Brown books are well worth reading. However another writer who well deserves a mention is Alexander McCall Smith. His No 1 Ladies Detective Agency books are well worth reading and I hope inspired people to explore regions of Botswana less well known than the Okavango Delta and Kasane. The rural village scenarios were so true to life and Gaborone became an area to explore to try and recognise where the scenes were set. Of course things change and Gaborone is unrecognisable now with regard to his locations.

Sign in to add your message