Welcome to our forums.

Silver Travel Advisor's members' 100 Favourite Books

Thanks for all the effort you’re putting in co-ordinating this @iwent this is great.

I feel the need to add some classics to the list:

To kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
The Midwich Cuckoos by John Wyndham
The Day of the Triffids: also by John Wyndham

Would you second these @greywolf

Essex UK

One week and 17 posts in, time for a first round up.

The List so far
Joy Adamson – The Born Free Trilogy (Born Free, Living Free, and Forever Free – iwent
Peter Benchley – Jaws – coolonespa
Age related – Raymond Briggs – Time for Lights Out – GeminiJen
Lee Child’s – Jack Reacher series – coolonespa
Agatha Christie – the Poirot series – iwent
Agatha Christie – the Marple series – iwent
Alex Cross – a series – coolonespa – @coolonespa, can you give the name, please
Travel, mystery and intrigue Dan Brown – The Da Vinci Code – Fossil
Dan Brown – all his books – Jacks10 Can these be broken down into series? Should we have (1) the Da Vinci Code, and (2) all his other books?
Age related – Margaret Drabble The Dark Flood Rises – GeminiJen
Botswana – Alexander McCall Smith – His No 1 Ladies Detective Agency – GeminiJen – Jacks10
Edinburgh – Alexander McCall Smith – his 44 Scotland Street and Sunday Philosophy Club series – GeminiJen – Jacks10
Climate and other concerns of the day – Robert Macfarlane Underland – GeminiJen
travel – Eric Newby – A Short Walk in the Hindu Kush – JoCarroll
Margaret Mitchell’s – Gone With The Wind – Cruzeroqueen1
Americanah – Chimemanda Ngozo Adichie – JoCarroll
James Patterson – the Women’s Murder Club series (5 books) – coolonespa
Age related – Richard Powers The Overstory – GeminiJen
Edinburgh – Ian Rankin – all the Rebus books – GeminiJen – DavidT
Age related – Greta Thunberg’s collection of speeches: No One is too small to make a difference – GeminiJen
Travel – Jung Chang – Big Sister, Little Sister, Red Sister for China – GeminiJen
Travel – Monisha Rajesh – Around the World in 80 Trains – GeminiJen
J. K. Rowling – all of the Harry Potter books – coolonespa – I think these should be listed as the series rather than individually
auto-biographies and biographies
Alan Sugar, Richard Branson and Simon Cowell – Fossil – Do these books have titles, @Fossil?

The Rules so far
If anyone wants to suggest rules for this list of Silver Travel Advisors’ 100 Favourite Books, here’s the place to do it.
For now we can develop the rules as we go along.
Fossil has suggested we limit ourselves to travel books, and others seem to have suggested further categories. I think too many will become unwieldy, but let’s see. We could do: Travel, and Everything Else?
I think we need a book to be nominated by at least three members before it goes on the “shortlist”.
Then, when we have 100 books with three nominations, we can vote for their order.

Last Edited by iwent at 09 Dec 13:05

Although my favourite genre is psychological thrillers, one book I can re-read every few years and enjoy is
Margaret Mitchell’s Gone With The Wind.

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

There have also been some great auto-biographies and biographies written, three of my favourites are Alan Sugar, Richard Branson and Simon Cowell, 3 men who made their own way in life and show that hard work pays off.

London

Jacks10 wrote:

No 1 Ladies Detective Agency books

That reminded me that James Patterson has a series about the Woman’s Murder Club and in fact the Alex Cross series is also great. Hard to nail it to a single book in each series but I’d just go for the first book of each one if we need to tie it down.

Lee Child’s Jack Reacher series, again so many are good, so just go for the first one.

What about Jaws by Peter Benchley Possibly my very first “I can’t put it down until I’m finished” book.

Essex UK

@DavidT I’m with you re Ian Rankin, Rebus and Edinburgh.

@Jacks10 Also with you re Alexander McCall Smith, both for Botswana (where you encounter Mma Ramotswe posters everywhere!) and too for Edinburgh with his 44 Scotland Street and Sunday Philosophy Club series.

And, in response to the nudge from @Fossil, a few more for the list:

Travel related…..Jung Chang Big Sister, Little Sister, Red Sister for China

Age related (as we’re all silver travellers )…Margaret Drabble The Dark Flood Rises
and Raymond Briggs Time for Lights Out

Finally, re. climate and other concerns of the day…Robert Macfarlane Underland
Richard Powers The Overstory
and Greta Thunberg’s collection of speeches: No One is too small to make a difference.

Last Edited by GeminiJen at 08 Dec 20:25
Gullane

I’ve been thinking about my first submissions for this selection; not easy because I could think of a hundred right away and then want to submit another hundred half an hour later. I’m going to try to concentrate on books that have stayed with me for a long time, rather than ones which were wonderful whilst reading but forgotten soon after.

I’ll start with The Born Free Trilogy by Joy Adamson. I discovered these books as a child (Born Free, Living Free, and Forever Free) and the story’s stayed with me ever since.

My second author is Agatha Christie. Everything she’s ever written, but specifically the Poirot series and the Marple series. I could read these books over and over, despite knowing “whowdunnit” from the start.

Any other fans out there?

Americanah by Chimemanda Ngozo Adichie

And for travel – A Short Walk in the Hindu Kush by Eric Newby

No need to panic @Fossil , we’ve only been looking for 40 hours. And I think a lot of people would like to take time to think about their choice/s.

Do we have any other suggestions, we have a long way to go to reach 100.

London
Sign in to add your message