Welcome to our forums.

Silver Travel Advisor's members' 100 Favourite Books

Jo Carroll – Vultures Overhead: Over the Hill in Cuba.

Essex UK

For a travel related book (even though one might argue it’s not really ’travel, but it IS a journey!), I would choose:=

John Steinbeck – The Grapes of Wrath (I find the soliloquy SO moving).

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

iwent wrote:

I hate to disappoint, but there’s nothing you can teach me about procrastination.
Although on second thoughts, maybe we could start up a new thread and compete with a list of all known (and unknown) procrastinations (and displacement activities) and … arrgghh!

You could start a self-help group for procrastinators, @iwent – maybe called ‘Procrastinate……some time’!

iwent wrote:

I feel it may be cheating to request another to second your vote

Noted I only mentioned GW because he had expressed his admiration for these book on the Forum before & I didn’t want him to miss the post but no canvassing from now on.

On the travel front…Simon Reeve – Tropic of Capricorn

Essex UK

GeminiJen wrote:

Just to note

Thanks for that @GeminiJen , I appreciate your help to get it right, and it’ll show up on my next “rounded up list”.

GeminiJen wrote:

here’s a few more
Thanks for putting them author first ~ makes the process easier for me.

GeminiJen wrote:

You do realize this is displacement activity/avoidance of preparations for Christmas ..big time….
I hate to disappoint, but there’s nothing you can teach me about procrastination.
Although on second thoughts, maybe we could start up a new thread and compete with a list of all known (and unknown) procrastinations (and displacement activities) and … arrgghh!

coolonespa wrote:

second these @greywolf
I feel it may be cheating to request another to second your vote, lol (but seriously).

@iwent

If you do decide to narrow these down to travel related, here’s a few more culled from my bookshelves…

John Steinbeck (USA) Travels with Charley
Peter Mayle (France) A Year in Provence
Che Guevara (Latin America) Motorcycle Diaries
Carlos Ruiz Zafon (Barcelona) The Shadow of the Wind
Gabriel Garcia Marquez (Colombia) Love in the Time of Cholera
Peter Hoeg (Denmark) Smilla’s Sense of Snow
Ernest Hemingway (Spain) The Sun Also Rises
Khaled Hosseini (Afghanistan) And the Mountains Echoed…..

You do realize this is displacement activity/avoidance of preparations for Christmas ..big time….

Gullane

@iwent
Thanks for doing this….
Just to note….I listed Greta Thunberg and Richard Powers under climate change/environmental concerns….and not age related
Cheers

Gullane

Thanks for all the effort you’re putting in co-ordinating this @iwent this is great.

I feel the need to add some classics to the list:

To kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
The Midwich Cuckoos by John Wyndham
The Day of the Triffids: also by John Wyndham

Would you second these @greywolf

Essex UK

One week and 17 posts in, time for a first round up.

The List so far
Joy Adamson – The Born Free Trilogy (Born Free, Living Free, and Forever Free – iwent
Peter Benchley – Jaws – coolonespa
Age related – Raymond Briggs – Time for Lights Out – GeminiJen
Lee Child’s – Jack Reacher series – coolonespa
Agatha Christie – the Poirot series – iwent
Agatha Christie – the Marple series – iwent
Alex Cross – a series – coolonespa – @coolonespa, can you give the name, please
Travel, mystery and intrigue Dan Brown – The Da Vinci Code – Fossil
Dan Brown – all his books – Jacks10 Can these be broken down into series? Should we have (1) the Da Vinci Code, and (2) all his other books?
Age related – Margaret Drabble The Dark Flood Rises – GeminiJen
Botswana – Alexander McCall Smith – His No 1 Ladies Detective Agency – GeminiJen – Jacks10
Edinburgh – Alexander McCall Smith – his 44 Scotland Street and Sunday Philosophy Club series – GeminiJen – Jacks10
Climate and other concerns of the day – Robert Macfarlane Underland – GeminiJen
travel – Eric Newby – A Short Walk in the Hindu Kush – JoCarroll
Margaret Mitchell’s – Gone With The Wind – Cruzeroqueen1
Americanah – Chimemanda Ngozo Adichie – JoCarroll
James Patterson – the Women’s Murder Club series (5 books) – coolonespa
Age related – Richard Powers The Overstory – GeminiJen
Edinburgh – Ian Rankin – all the Rebus books – GeminiJen – DavidT
Age related – Greta Thunberg’s collection of speeches: No One is too small to make a difference – GeminiJen
Travel – Jung Chang – Big Sister, Little Sister, Red Sister for China – GeminiJen
Travel – Monisha Rajesh – Around the World in 80 Trains – GeminiJen
J. K. Rowling – all of the Harry Potter books – coolonespa – I think these should be listed as the series rather than individually
auto-biographies and biographies
Alan Sugar, Richard Branson and Simon Cowell – Fossil – Do these books have titles, @Fossil?

The Rules so far
If anyone wants to suggest rules for this list of Silver Travel Advisors’ 100 Favourite Books, here’s the place to do it.
For now we can develop the rules as we go along.
Fossil has suggested we limit ourselves to travel books, and others seem to have suggested further categories. I think too many will become unwieldy, but let’s see. We could do: Travel, and Everything Else?
I think we need a book to be nominated by at least three members before it goes on the “shortlist”.
Then, when we have 100 books with three nominations, we can vote for their order.

Last Edited by iwent at 09 Dec 13:05

Although my favourite genre is psychological thrillers, one book I can re-read every few years and enjoy is
Margaret Mitchell’s Gone With The Wind.

Sign in to add your message