Welcome to our forums.

Silver Travel Advisor's members' 100 Favourite Books

Anything by Enid Blyton – in general it was she who got children of my generation hooked on reading.
The Famous Five and Secret Seven series encouraged children to be more adventurous, and the
St. Clare’s and other Boarding School books instilled values like honesty, team spirit, and always doing
‘the right thing’ etc.

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

Bill Bryson is one of my longstanding favourite authors, and he has books for both the travel and non-travel categories. My favourite at the moment is Little Dribbling. So I’ll add:

Travel – Bill Bryson – all his travel books.
Non-travel – Bill Bryson – all his other books.

Any more suggestions anyone, we have a long way to go to reach 100.

London

Possibly my favourite book of all time……Douglas Adams – The Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

Essex UK

@JoCarroll wrote:

Oh goodness, thank you, Steve.

You’re very welcome Jo. It’s only here because it deserves to be.

Essex UK

Oh goodness, thank you, Steve.

Jo Carroll – Vultures Overhead: Over the Hill in Cuba.

Essex UK

For a travel related book (even though one might argue it’s not really ’travel, but it IS a journey!), I would choose:=

John Steinbeck – The Grapes of Wrath (I find the soliloquy SO moving).

iwent wrote:

I hate to disappoint, but there’s nothing you can teach me about procrastination.
Although on second thoughts, maybe we could start up a new thread and compete with a list of all known (and unknown) procrastinations (and displacement activities) and … arrgghh!

You could start a self-help group for procrastinators, @iwent – maybe called ‘Procrastinate……some time’!

iwent wrote:

I feel it may be cheating to request another to second your vote

Noted I only mentioned GW because he had expressed his admiration for these book on the Forum before & I didn’t want him to miss the post but no canvassing from now on.

On the travel front…Simon Reeve – Tropic of Capricorn

Essex UK
Sign in to add your message