Welcome to our forums.

Silver Travel Advisor's members' 100 Favourite Books

@Cruzeroqueen1 wrote:

Anything by Enid Blyton – in general it was she who got children of my generation hooked on reading.
The Famous Five and Secret Seven series encouraged children to be more adventurous, and the
St. Clare’s and other Boarding School books instilled values like honesty, team spirit, and always doing
‘the right thing’ etc.

Oh yes, I’ll 2nd that.

A little anecdote. Many years ago I helped out on a school trip to Wales, where we explored a town via a treasure hunt. My boys “cleaned up”, whilst the other teams had various issues throughout the day deflecting them from the task. How? I spent 5 mins at the start getting them to select a team name & a leader. Then it was thier team against the rest & I had an easy day…..thanks Enid

Essex UK

Thank you to whoever started this forum. My husband and I are avid readers and whereas I will pick up any book and read it he is a lot more specific and always looking for new authors and titles that are recommended. I love the classics (very new to reading them in truth) but have found I get lost in a Dickens novel so:

Nicholas Nickleby
Great Expectations
The Old Curiosity Shop

Also Elizabeth Kostova “The Swan thieves” and anything by Barbara Kingsolver

Favourite authors: Jodi Picoult, Faye Kellerman, Donna Tartt, Lionel Shriver.
Most amazing big read was “the Mandibles” by Lionel Shriver

Anything by Enid Blyton – in general it was she who got children of my generation hooked on reading.
The Famous Five and Secret Seven series encouraged children to be more adventurous, and the
St. Clare’s and other Boarding School books instilled values like honesty, team spirit, and always doing
‘the right thing’ etc.

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

Bill Bryson is one of my longstanding favourite authors, and he has books for both the travel and non-travel categories. My favourite at the moment is Little Dribbling. So I’ll add:

Travel – Bill Bryson – all his travel books.
Non-travel – Bill Bryson – all his other books.

Any more suggestions anyone, we have a long way to go to reach 100.

London

Possibly my favourite book of all time……Douglas Adams – The Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

Essex UK

@JoCarroll wrote:

Oh goodness, thank you, Steve.

You’re very welcome Jo. It’s only here because it deserves to be.

Essex UK

Oh goodness, thank you, Steve.

Sign in to add your message