Welcome to our forums.

Silver Travel Advisor's members' 100 Favourite Books

Americanah by Chimemanda Ngozo Adichie

And for travel – A Short Walk in the Hindu Kush by Eric Newby

No need to panic @Fossil , we’ve only been looking for 40 hours. And I think a lot of people would like to take time to think about their choice/s.

Do we have any other suggestions, we have a long way to go to reach 100.

London

GeminiJen wrote:

Around the World in 80 Trains.by journalist Monisha Rajesh

You paint a marvellous picture of this book @GeminiJen and the book is now on my “to read” list.

Travel related recommendation

Around the World in 80 Trains.by journalist Monisha Rajesh

With her rucksack bursting at the seams and her fiancé in tow, journalist Monisha Rajesh set out on a 45,000-mile trek around the world.
Over the course of seven months and 80 train rides which circumnavigated the globe, the duo embarked on an adventure of a lifetime, starting in western Europe and linking to Russia, Mongolia, North Korea, Canada, Kazakhstan and beyond.
In the pages of this, her latest book on train travel (she previously wrote the book Around India in 80 Trains), Rajesh captures the passing countryside outside her train window and shares the stories of friendship and camaraderie she builds with fellow passengers.
So why travel by train instead of faster modes of transportation?
In her words: Trains…take the traveller into the nooks and crannies of a country and into the heart of its people.

Gullane

All the Dan Brown books are well worth reading. However another writer who well deserves a mention is Alexander McCall Smith. His No 1 Ladies Detective Agency books are well worth reading and I hope inspired people to explore regions of Botswana less well known than the Okavango Delta and Kasane. The rural village scenarios were so true to life and Gaborone became an area to explore to try and recognise where the scenes were set. Of course things change and Gaborone is unrecognisable now with regard to his locations.

Good suggestion @DavidT

London

I’d like to suggest any and/or all of the Rebus novels by Ian Rankin for this list.

They’re all set in and around Edinburgh, which is a city well worth visiting for those who haven’t – and even for those who have!

We found ourselves following the Rebus trail through the city, ending up in one of Rebus’ favourite haunts, the Bow Bar, where we spent an amazing hour in the company of the author himself! The beer and whisky weren’t bad either….

coolonespa wrote:

My first submission would be all of the Harry Potter books.

Enjoy them and always got them as soon as they came out. Loved the way they had different covers for children and adults.

London

Great idea. My first submission would be all of the Harry Potter books. Have sold multi-millions of copies worldwide and have spawned some very entertaining films. The locations in the book were inspired by many places in the UK. Most importantly of all they inspired a generation of children to read at a time when book reading in the UK was at an all time low. The films have inspired children to get out from behind the games console and visit the film locations and indeed draw children to some real life heritage attractions e.g. Alnwick Castle

Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone (1997)
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (1998)
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (1999)
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (2000)
Harry Potter and the Order of Phoenix (2003)
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (2005)
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (2007)

Essex UK
12 Posts
Sign in to add your message