Welcome to our forums.

No flight travel

10 Posts

@Fossil
Understood.
EasyJet, unfortunately, is not an option between Edinburgh and Barcelona.
I was simply providing an alternative perspective from an airport other than any of the London ones.
And an example of the additional costs and times involved.
Sorry if that wasn’t clear

Gullane

Hi @GeminiJen my prices were based on Gatwick – Barcelona with EasyJet.

London

I’m with @iwent and @Jo
Individuals can make a difference.

Gullane

@ Fossil wrote:

I don’t think it would. The cost and length of travelling time for me would be prohibitive. For example, London – Barcelona by train, 18 hours, by plane 1hr 50 mins. £117 return by train, by plane £49.

My son lives in Barcelona. When I visited this Spring, my Ryanair flights between Edinburgh and Barcelona cost £132.00. Airport car parking added another £44…so, a total of £176. The car parking was needed because the Ryanair flight left at 6.30am. I left home at 4.00am and arrived in Barcelona at 10.30am. The Ryanair experience is never altogether a happy one…Standing in queues for much longer than necessary…take off invariably delayed…and yet arrival miraculously on time. And, if you haven’t pre-booked a seat, the dreaded middle seat at the back/near the toilets.

Since then, I’ve travelled by train….not that much more expensive and an altogether much more pleasant experience

Gullane

As I said on another thread we all want to do what is right for the planet and future generations, however cars, trains, planes, batteries all require factories to generate the steel that makes them. We need factories to produce wind turbines, household appliances and all manner of things. It sounds very much like a no win situation.
Perhaps pressure should be brought to the worlds largest polluters: China, United States, India, Russia and Japan, but no one will as no one wants to upset trade relations.

London

iwent wrote:

I do wonder whether it isn’t, perhaps, time for we olds to put our money where our mouth is, and sacrifice a little time and money to the benefit of the planet? After all, it will only be by increasing demand for more ecologically-sound transport (etc.) that prices will come down.

I agree – most people want to make the world a better place for their children and grandchildren, but our generation has (often through ignorance – I don’t think we should beat ourselves up about things we didn’t know) has made a real mess of it. So I think it’s time to think about compromises, and doing things differently. So next time I go to Madrid, I shall go by train – I know it takes longer and it’s more expensive, but that’s how it is.

I do wonder whether it isn’t, perhaps, time for we olds to put our money where our mouth is, and sacrifice a little time and money to the benefit of the planet? After all, it will only be by increasing demand for more ecologically-sound transport (etc.) that prices will come down.

I don’t think it would. The cost and length of travelling time for me would be prohibitive. For example, London – Barcelona by train, 18 hours, by plane 1hr 50 mins. £117 return by train, by plane £49.

London

It’s not articles like this that encourage me to think twice about how I travel, but the science that demonstrates that we all have to make changes for the sake of our children and grandchildren. And we need to be realistic – so I shall take the train and ferry to Killarney next year, but not try to swim to Ecuador!

https://www.nationalgeographic.co.uk/travel/2019/11/without-wings-11-no-fly-adventures-2020

Interesting article from National Geographic.
Would it encourage you to change your style of travel?

Gullane
10 Posts
Sign in to add your message