Welcome to our forums.

Why we lie about being retired

Some seven months before my retirement date in 2009, I woke up one Saturday morning and as per usual went downstairs to make a cup of tea for her who must be obeyed. When I went back up I put the cup on the bedside table with the intention of giving her my usual cheery greeting.

But the words wouldn’t or couldn’t get past my lips. To cut a long story short, I’d had a mini stroke, caused by a blood clot on the right side of my brain..

After spending a couple of nights in hospital my speech returned to something like normal, so I paid a visit to my GP who told me I would not be returning to work, and I would have to surrender my driving licence for several weeks.

I found that very hard to accept. I had worked for the same organisation for 22 years, and whilst the job could be quite stressful at times I had a great relationship with my team.

I suppose it’s not unusual to feel indispensable after 22 years, but that’s ridiculous isn’t it, but that’s how I felt. Furthermore after about a month I felt perfectly fine and had feelings of guilt and being a fraud, but my GP, supported by my wife, was insistent. Retirement had come earlier than expected.

Ten years on I’m loving it!

Bishop Auckland

Interesting article here https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48882195

I found the transition into retirement pretty easy but I gave myself the space & time to decide what I wanted to do with myself post retirement.

How easy did you find it to enter retirement?

Essex UK
12 Posts
Sign in to add your message