Welcome to our forums.

Things that annoy me

@GeminiJan – I’m so glad I’m not the only person who heard that. And yes, she was so impressive – I’m sure she has bad days but I so admired she saw problems as something that needed a solution, not something that might keep her shut in at home.

@JoCarroll
I listened to that too. Early onset, wasn’t it? It was really interesting, the way she organised her life. Lots of post-its, I recall…And I loved the way she dealt with the taxi firm she relied on, when they didn’t arrive on time or were impatient with her….She went to the office in person, armed with choc biscuits etc…and explained clearly and patiently that she had dementia, what this meant in terms of her behaviour and what she needed from them. An impressive woman.

Gullane

There was a woman with dementia on Woman’s Hour this morning – and she talked about needing the kindness of strangers when she struggles to get the right money in the supermarket queue. Sometimes she doesn’t even remember that she needs to pay until the check-out assistant asks for money. Something to bear in mind next time we’re behind someone who appears to be struggling.

Motability scooters, wonderful invention that they are, their drivers assume they have automatic right of way over you on pavements, in shop aisles and doorways, move or be mown down. Teenagers do similar things with skateboards.

Wakefield, West Yorks.

Annoying moments.

1 Waiting for BT or Electric firms to give me a person to talk to.Not a machine. 2 Shopping with no time in hand, and shop assistants are talking to each other about the dates they had the night before , while I wait and wait Then a bored face peers at me with a mouthful of chewing gum . And says.“Yeah you want something” 3 People who stand in big groups {mostly ladies} in the swimming pool and chatter while others are trying to swim. And these are only a few of the things which make me wild. 4 But then, I also make people annoyed, I want every task done the day before I think of it ! So I figure out patience must be a virtue which I have to have.
WEST SCOTLAND

I do not like it when people impose their opinions on others. And those who think everyone knows.

It certainly is very different in our Yorskhire market town @Fossil – a panic call goes out for “all hands to the decks/tills” if there are two people waiting at each till! It’s quite a busy store with around 10 tills and 4 self service but I’ve never seen a queue longer than 3 deep.

At a couple of our supermarkets we have isles that are for 5 items or less which helps to speed things up. Also our local Sainsbury supermarket have a self service check out as do several other stores including W.H.Smith.
I can understand certain people like to chat but when there is a queue 15 deep with a trolly full it makes chatting unrealistic.
Obviously life in a supermarket where you live @yorkshirecat is a little different to South London.

London

I agree @Endy and at my local Tesco in South Yorkshire your dream is my reality. It’s the norm for our friendly checkout men and women to help pack shopping into customers’ bags and chat away whilst a customer of whatever age searches for money, produces endless vouchers, balances a screaming baby and a wailing toddler, realises they’ve forgotten a vital item etc. Those waiting in line often join in the chat, help out if they can and happily let the busy people with just a few items in their basket jump the queue. There is also a small stereo system near the checkouts playing music from the 70s and 80s so many of us are also singing and jiggling along (we were throwing some shapes to Rick Astley last week!) I must admit, when I first moved here from London 20 years ago it all felt rather strange and painfully slow, but I soon learned to go with the flow and appreciate the wonderful sense of community.

Or maybe this is part of the Loneliness Question, discussed on another thread.
With our modern world insisting just about everything must be done on-line, ie without the benefit of human contact, this trip to the shop for a pint of milk and loaf of bread is likely to be the only human contact some will have all day.
I absolutely understand the frustrations, but perhaps a little understanding might help?
Perhaps supermarkets etc could be encouraged to have a separate aisle – either for “I’m in a tearing hurry” or “I have time to be polite”. (Please, definitely not “I’m old/lonely”)! This might even allow for more chatting en queue, and even continuing the chat over a cup of tea in the cafe.

Whoops, sorry folks, just woke up from a really lovely dream …

14 Posts
Sign in to add your message