Welcome to our forums.

Do We get What We Pay For!!

Solent_Richard wrote:

Maybe tomorrow I’ll take up @Fossils challenge on the BMW comparison

Could we come back to what this thread is about please.
Fossil

London

Endy wrote:

It’s definitely out there, you just need to look in the right place

So that’s a “no” then

Actually it’s very much a yes.

There’s nothing like having access to an urban dictionary.

Endy wrote:

wondering whether it was actually necessary for you to use that unfamiliar three-letter acronym without an explanation for we non-RAF personnel

Oh, and I’m confused somewhat…..”unfamiliar three-letter acronym without an explanation for we non-RAF personnel

I served in the Royal Navy…

Endy wrote:

I sat on the delightful Grade II listed platform at Cardiff Central railway station (CDF), reading your “response” and wondering whether it was actually necessary for you to use that unfamiliar three-letter acronym without an explanation for we non-RAF personnel.

Good grief @Endy , I hope it’s not me that is giving you insomnia?

Not even as if your in a different time zone either, I’m sure Cardiff is on GMT.

Endy wrote:

wondering whether it was actually necessary for you to use that unfamiliar three-letter acronym without an explanation for we non-RAF personnel

Solent_Richard wrote:

It’s definitely out there, you just need to look in the right place

So that’s a “no” then

Fossil wrote:

Looked up CDF under Military and Government. 128 meanings.

It’s definitely out there, you just need to look in the right place.

I suspect @Endy is on the right ‘track’ though.

Then, of course there is the fall back publication…

Now, must go, busy day and I’ve overrun my pre-breakfast morning computing session. See y’all Monday I hope.

Looked up CDF under Military and Government. 128 meanings.

https://www.acronymfinder.com/Military-and-Government/CDF.html

London

Two Cures for Sleeplessness

Solent_Richard wrote:

what we used to call CDF in the Royal Navy

I sat on the delightful Grade II listed platform at Cardiff Central railway station (CDF), reading your “response” and wondering whether it was actually necessary for you to use that unfamiliar three-letter acronym without an explanation for we non-RAF personnel.

Might it refer, perhaps, to Net CDF (Network Common Data Form) which is all about Atmospheric Research? Well the Air Force do fly up through the atmosphere, up where the air is clear but no, you said fifty years ago. That time frame also spoils the case for Common Data Format (CDF) > “stuff” developed at NASA, which might otherwise have explained the secrecy. Then there’s Channel Definition Format (CDF), Compound Document Format (CDF), even Computable Document Format (CDF) – interesting for @Coolonespa and other computer buffs, but all XML file format and Microsoft to me.

Just at that moment my thoughts were interrupted by a lady shaking a tin for the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith (CDF). Well it makes a change from Jehovah’s Witness, and as they have their Headquarters at the Palace of the Holy Office in Rome I did wonder whether I should pick up a leaflet for Andrew Morris – in case he wants to pursue the First Reich/Holy Roman Empire option (per October Book Club discussion).

Then, after I’d boarded the train and purchased supplies from the trolley, I really thought I had it: the Cumulative Distribution Function (CDF), which looked at first glance like a posh way of explaining why crisps cost more per ounce than potatoes! But I discovered it’s about probability theory and statistics, and is a thing far more effective than sheep-counting for arriving at your destination before you know it.
And if any of you are experiencing difficulties in reaching the sleep-state I would advise you to Google it!

Last Edited by Endy at 09 Nov 02:36

Solent_Richard wrote:

So to get the ball rolling I wonder if I can guess correct and the video that @Fossill has included was originally plucked from one of the ‘sensationalist’ national newspapers that are normally so heavily criticised on here?

Sorry @Solent_Richard but you are mistaken. It came from Business Insider. Business Insider is an American financial and business news website published by Insider Inc. It operates international editions in the UK, Australia, China, Germany, France, South Africa, India, Italy, Indonesia, Japan, Malaysia, Netherlands, Nordics, Poland, Spain and Singapore. Several International editions are published in local languages: Chinese, Dutch, French, Italian, German, Polish and Japanese. Hardly a ‘sensationalist’ national newspapers that are normally so heavily criticised on here.

Solent_Richard wrote:

Maybe tomorrow I’ll take up @Fossils challenge on the BMW

Look forward to it. Had BMW for 18 years (3 & 5 series) before changing to another make.

London

Endy wrote:

I’m waiting to hear from @SolentRichard on this one. He’s said “You Get What You Pay For” so many time’s, I assume it’s his motto.

Good morning @Endy

Not quite what I’d call a motto but certainly up there with my most popular sayings (Probably vying for third place with…“you couldn’t make it up”)

However, as you’ve mentioned it I’ll not disappoint, indeed I’ll actually relish the opportunity to comment and trust others will add contributions across the multitude of subjects to which the phrase applies.

Do excuse me if I dash off though as I’m also listening to the radio this morning: the Portsmouth Military Wives Choir are on the Chris Evans Morning Show.

So to get the ball rolling I wonder if I can guess correct and the video that @Fossill has included was originally plucked from one of the ‘sensationalist’ national newspapers that are normally so heavily criticised on here?

I did smile as it is was hardly a scientific study and those taking part hardly looked as though they were likely to be serious wine drinkers though being a subjective subject some folk did manage to distinguish the sweeter of the wines: hardly difficult.

All good entertainment though and in summary on the video alone I can categorically state that I guess I’d not be alone in thinking that does one really need a Professor of Management and Psychology, or indeed someone with a BA in Mathematics, to confirm that what we used to call CDF in the Royal Navy is as applicable today as it was fifty years ago.

Maybe tomorrow I’ll take up @Fossils challenge on the BMW comparison or even keep to the wine theme and do a comparator between @Cruzeroqueen1 ’s favoured under €3 Spanish plonk and a decent Châteauneuf-du-Pape or Casale Vecchioand maybe even do we get value for money in a cruise ship balcony cabin.

Looking forward to the debate but of course the real common denominator will always come down to ‘Affordability’.

Last Edited by Solent_Richard at 08 Nov 08:58
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message