Welcome to our forums.

Remembrance Sunday - 100 years

10 Posts

Fossil wrote:

Fossil
15:58 11-Nov-18

This was sent to me and I make no apology for posting it. The cadet choir at West Point, personally I think it most fitting.

Yes, very fitting, Alan, @Fossil – I really enjoyed it.

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

Yesterday my wife and I broke with tradition and attended the Remembrance Service at our Town’s War Memorial…

…instead of our regular attendance at the Fleet Air Arm Memorial…

The town’s service finished a little earlier than anticipated which was good news because it gave us time to catch the parade marching back on completion of their service…

There were excellent turn-outs for both services and it was good to see and meet up with old friends and neighbours.

Last Edited by Solent_Richard at 12 Nov 08:48

This was sent to me and I make no apology for posting it. The cadet choir at West Point, personally I think it most fitting.

London

coolonespa wrote:

the new light display at the Tower of London

Spotted this short video that shows the installation:

Essex UK

Fossil wrote:

It does seem @sallyD and @Solent_Richard that local councils have made a special effort this year. My own council have decorated the pedestrian only areas with large poppies.

Here at Lee on the Solent we have two War Memorials. One for the town and the other to commemorate the war dead of the Fleet Air Arm…

The airfield here was known as HMS Daedalus and until its closure was the home of the Fleet Air Arm.

The Town Memorial…

http://stfaithslee.org/world-war-one/

…has been granted, by our local council, one of their two ‘Tommy’ silhouettes…

In Lee on the Solent we have two Remembrance Parades, one at each memorial.

For a small town they are well attended.

One of my responsibilities when I was serving at HMS Daedalus was as Ceremonial Training Officer and I organised the Fleet Air Arm Memorial Service each year of my appointment.

Every third year I march at the Cenotaph in London with my Naval Association and on the other years I’m just happy to witness the parade which passes in front of Solent Towers and reflect…

It does seem @sallyD and @Solent_Richard that local councils have made a special effort this year. My own council have decorated the pedestrian only areas with large poppies.

London

coolonespa wrote:

What a great idea.

I haven’t seen anything in my town yet but I was looking at the new light display at the Tower of London the other day. It seems it was designed by the same person who designed the poppy display.

Certainly is @coolonespa

Here at lee on the Solent we too have a similar theme…

The figure offers leaflets telling the story of local lads who never returned. This particular one was remembering a Captain/Acting Lieutenant Colonel Auriol Lowry who was killed just 18 days before the war ended…

What a great idea.

I haven’t seen anything in my town yet but I was looking at the new light display at the Tower of London the other day. It seems it was designed by the same person who designed the poppy display.

Essex UK

Lovely idea @sallyD

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

As the country prepares for a very special Remembrance Sunday, I am moved by the efforts made by many cities, towns and villages throughout the land to mark this special date.

My own home town of Eastbourne has laid plaques on the pavements outside the homes of fallen soldiers of the great war. These started to appear a few weeks back and now a total of 130, each the result of much research, tell the stories of each heroic individual. Young and old are enjoying searching them out and discovering what a sacrifice was made.

If your home town is making a special effort why not share some pics.

10 Posts
Sign in to add your message