Welcome to our forums.

Talking to your Barber,

coolonespa wrote:

Embracing the thoroughly modern world, my barber is a she. We yak about anything and everything, although I’m not sure which one of us finds it more therapeutic

Surprisingly we have 3 Gentlemen’s Barber Shops in Lee on the Solent. As they are all staffed by females I cycle the 5 miles down into Gosport where I have adopted a Kurdish barber for the last 6 years shortly after they opened.

From our conversations I have learnt a lot about Kurdistan’s problems while in return they have learnt a lot of what goes on in the world beyond British shores.

Interestingly they have now expanded into the next large town, Fareham.

I’m always amused that the £6.00 they charge me for my haircut is less than the tip my wife gives her hairdresser on her regular visits.

Embracing the thoroughly modern world, my barber is a she. We yak about anything and everything, although I’m not sure which one of us finds it more therapeutic

Essex UK

@Riversiderouge good point that. During my time in Poland I read in many of the local and national fables that it was typically the Miller who had access to everyone’s private lives and gossip whilst grinding their grain in his Windmill. For me it’s the Taxi drivers who probably know more than anyone about what’s going on between who and why before anyone else does. Several London cabbies told me many a tale which you’ll never read in a newspaper. I never miss a chance when I’m in one to see what they know.

Wakefield, West Yorks.

Like so many gents of my sell by date, I’ve been going to the same Hairdresser for the best part of 50 years. These days our banter is likely to be how life used to be in the ’60’s and other nostalgic memories rather than anything dark and quirky.

It’s a man thing. Who cuts your hair ? What do you say to your barber while he’s snipping away ? Do you sit in stony silence or like many, do you have a good old man-to-man chat about life, the mother-in-law, and everything ? Telling him things your partner, family or friends are never supposed to know ? The importance of this curious social scenario, prevalent in British culture, of engaging in a confessional to an impartial anonymous male attentive audience, who you need never see again, has over the years, become recognised by particular Cardiff barber who has now capitalised on the situation, creating a nationwide man’s club where men can share their greatest despairs, regrets and anxieties in condidence, well away from the wife and her nagging, gossipy mates.

The Lions Barber Collective operate men only outings and counselling activities on all matters domestic, social, medical, financial, sexual, where boys can be boys without worrying about her indoors or outdoors. Let’s face it, women have be doing it in salons for years, rinsing that perm, touching up those highlights, wagging that chin.

The Lions Barber Collective may well be the new men-only refuge for the modern man. Interestingly enough, this new phenomenon actually proved the plot line for one of my favourite films by the Coen Brothers “The Man Who wasn’t There” (2001) starring Billy Bob Thornton as a late 1940’s local barber in mid west America who is drawn into the dark and quirky world of one of his customers, who stumbles into unforseen consequences in this most enigmatic and compelling film.

So men, The Lions Barber Collective, what say you, lads ?

Link below : http://www.thelionsbarbercollective.com

Wakefield, West Yorks.
5 Posts
Sign in to add your message