Welcome to our forums.

Talking to your Barber,

There’s a new kid coming to the block.

As part of my fitness regime I get on my bike whenever I need a haircut and, as previously commented, I have a great rapport with the Kurdish barbers in Gosport.

Here at Lee on the Solent we actually have three ‘Gents’ barbers but I avoid them all because they are all women operated.

However, while walking for my daily newspaper yesterday morning I was interested to see that a notification had been scrawled on the window of a seafront shop that has been empty for months…

Looks like I’ll have to brush up on my Turkish.

Günaydın, kısa arka ve yan lütfen

Fossil wrote:

Solent_Richard wrote:
A pensioners’ cut is now £7.00.
Is that all you pay!! I don’t know Gosport personally but that’s cheap.

A few weeks ago in Fareham Shopping Mall it was only £6.00 for pensioners.

Roughly the same peddling distance for me but I do enjoy my banter with the Kurdish boys.

Not as cheap as GW’s at £4.50 Alan……

Bedford

Solent_Richard wrote:

Is that all you pay!! I don’t know Gosport personally but that’s cheap.

London

I’ve not spent a penny at the barbers in the last 30 years, my good lady is a dab hand with the garden shears…..

Bedford

@Solent_Richard I’m not sure if it’s my naturally magnanimous and benevolent Yorkshire nature, but my monthly haircut has been frozen at £4.50 ever since I lived here, to which I always add a handsome 50p as a tip, rounding it up to a whole fiver, each and every time, as I strut and swagger proudly out of the salon, freshly sheared, safe in the knowledge that my barber is saying ( albeit under his breath to minimise his natural embarassment. ).“there he goes, that’s him, the philanthropist of West Yorkshire, not afraid to put his money where his short back and sides are…what a kind, great and generous man”.

Last Edited by Grey-Wolf at 06 Jun 09:27
Wakefield, West Yorks.

SHOCK!! HORROR!

Solent_Richard wrote:

coolonespa wrote:
Embracing the thoroughly modern world, my barber is a she. We yak about anything and everything, although I’m not sure which one of us finds it more therapeutic
Surprisingly we have 3 Gentlemen’s Barber Shops in Lee on the Solent. As they are all staffed by females I cycle the 5 miles down into Gosport where I have adopted a Kurdish barber for the last 6 years shortly after they opened.

From our conversations I have learnt a lot about Kurdistan’s problems while in return they have learnt a lot of what goes on in the world beyond British shores.

Interestingly they have now expanded into the next large town, Fareham.

I’m always amused that the £6.00 they charge me for my haircut is less than the tip my wife gives her hairdresser on her regular visits.

On a recent visit to my Kurdish friend’s barber shop in Gosport…

…I discovered that his prices had gone up.

I’ll have to tighten the cruising belt if this continues.

coolonespa wrote:

Embracing the thoroughly modern world, my barber is a she. We yak about anything and everything, although I’m not sure which one of us finds it more therapeutic

Surprisingly we have 3 Gentlemen’s Barber Shops in Lee on the Solent. As they are all staffed by females I cycle the 5 miles down into Gosport where I have adopted a Kurdish barber for the last 6 years shortly after they opened.

From our conversations I have learnt a lot about Kurdistan’s problems while in return they have learnt a lot of what goes on in the world beyond British shores.

Interestingly they have now expanded into the next large town, Fareham.

I’m always amused that the £6.00 they charge me for my haircut is less than the tip my wife gives her hairdresser on her regular visits.

Essex UK

@Riversiderouge good point that. During my time in Poland I read in many of the local and national fables that it was typically the Miller who had access to everyone’s private lives and gossip whilst grinding their grain in his Windmill. For me it’s the Taxi drivers who probably know more than anyone about what’s going on between who and why before anyone else does. Several London cabbies told me many a tale which you’ll never read in a newspaper. I never miss a chance when I’m in one to see what they know.

Wakefield, West Yorks.
12 Posts
Sign in to add your message