Welcome to our forums.

General Election - 8th June

Fair comment and one that I agree with Gill @Cruzeroqueen1 but as I said the views in the post were not mine but those of callers to the radio station.

London

Fossil wrote:

I can understand your worries Gill but when in the car am tuned in to several phone in stations as I find them more interesting than some of the music ones. I heard someone the other day put this forward.
“Brits who live abroad, upped sticks and left the UK because they thought they could make a better life abroad without worrying about the UK. If that is so why should we worry about those people who deserted this country, no longer contribute to it and consider their current country of residence their home”.
Another caller allegedly living in France said he could not see a problem as he would simply apply for French citizenship.
Not my views but quite a few people seemed to agree with the first caller.

The majority of us over here, Alan, @Fossil , are mainly retired, and in general came for the good weather, not to just ‘abandon’ the UK (and we still consider ourselves British whilst mindful we are guests here). ‘We’ have paid into the UK system all our lives and expect nothing more than our rights to an ‘already paid-for but squandered by successive governments’ pension, and the current reciprocal health care facility. Should the latter no longer be viable, then most would have no choice but to return to the UK and thus put more of a burden on our already overloaded NHS.

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

I am not a particularly political animal but being in my 70’s have seen a number of governments over the years. Standing back and observing it always appears to me that Labour put us in debt and the Conservatives spend their time getting us out of it ready for Labour to overspend again.
This time however the thought of having Corbyn as PM does genuinely worry me. A person who would put his personal beliefs before the good of the country, i.e pushing the button, scares the hell out of me. I think as an individual he is a genuine person with ideas that fit into a perfect world which would be wonderful. However we don’t live in a perfect world and the chances of a dialogue with the type of regime that operates in North Korea and other places around the world are for fantasy land.

London

If Corbyn wins the GE after tonight’s performance I fear for all our futures, and for once I am very serious!

Bishop Auckland

I can understand your worries Gill but when in the car am tuned in to several phone in stations as I find them more interesting than some of the music ones. I heard someone the other day put this forward.
“Brits who live abroad, upped sticks and left the UK because they thought they could make a better life abroad without worrying about the UK. If that is so why should we worry about those people who deserted this country, no longer contribute to it and consider their current country of residence their home”.
Another caller allegedly living in France said he could not see a problem as he would simply apply for French citizenship.
Not my views but quite a few people seemed to agree with the first caller.

London

Call me selfish, but…. as long as the don’t forget the needs of expats………………….!

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

As this election appears to be all about ‘Brexit’ I suppose the question on most people minds will be, who is the best person to carry out the negotiations.

London

Just follow your head.

Bishop Auckland

Interesting piece about people voting whilst living abroad: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39956785

Essex UK

That’s probably because they have got no idea either. Like you I am old enough to remember the strikes of nationalised industry that brought the country to a stand still. Have often wondered why the union leaders when they call their members out on strike are happy for their members to lose money in lost lost wages but never give up their own!!!

London
21 Posts
Sign in to add your message