Welcome to our forums.

Speed awareness

I’ve been caught speeding twice in 18 months. A boy racer I am not, but in both instances I was allegedly doing 35 in a 30 mph zone a long way from home in both cases. North Yorkshire and Northamptonshire.

I was glad to be offered the chance to attend the speeding course in the first instance but have no excuse for the second offence.

As a consequence I now have three points on my license and face a 70 per cent increase on my insurance.

Fellow motorists will have to be patient if they are following me from now on!

Bishop Auckland

@Fossil – consistency is required. Drink/drug driving is a different matter and still relies on the human input (police).

Whether it’s true that cameras in different areas have different speed settings I don’t know and I’m not going to test them out!

A local businessman’s son seriously injured a family by driving at 95 along a 40 road. The council reduced the speed limit to 30, citing the accident as the reason, although there had never been any other serious accidents before. The majority of drivers using that road still travel at 40. No speed cameras were installed and I can’t remember ever seeing a mobile speed camera there either.

coolonespa wrote:

Poshgirl60 wrote:
Being done for doing 32 in a 30 zone is harsh.
I agree, very much someone working to the letter of the law rather than the spirit of the law.

At what speed does it cease to become harsh?
Would you still think it harsh if a loved one was knocked down and badly injured by someone that much over the limit?
What if someone is just over the drink/drive limit. Should they be let off?
Food for thought.

London

Poshgirl60 wrote:

Being done for doing 32 in a 30 zone is harsh.

I agree, very much someone working to the letter of the law rather than the spirit of the law.

Essex UK

I know two people who have been on the speed awareness courses, both men, aged 47 and 79 when they “offended”.

Both expected the course to be a lot of “wrist slapping”, but it was a positive experience as both presenters quickly stated they were there to inform and educate. Course cost the same as the fine. Was it considered worthwhile? Yes, both still felt like naughty boys but also better informed on the impact of speed.

Being done for doing 32 in a 30 zone is harsh. Agree with comments about modern cars. Coming back from supermarket earlier I decided to give car a “run” as hadn’t used it all week. Dual carriageway adjacent to M6 Toll isn’t the racetrack it used to be, but I was soon doing 70 without realising it. Kia Picanto 1.25 certainly packs a punch……

Last Edited by Poshgirl60 at 16 Sep 15:40

A great post @ rondetto
I assume that as your speed was disclosed to you in a letter you were caught on a camera and cameras have no discretion. Yes speedometers are inaccurate but what many people don’t realise is they are inaccurate in that they over read not under read. Speedometers are not allowed by law to under read. If they did motor manufacturers would get sued all over the place on the grounds that the speedometer showed you driving at the limit when you were in fact travelling faster. I have tested mine against my sat nav and it shows that at 30mph it’s reading about 3 mph fast. After this it gradually becomes more accurate.
When in places such as the miles of motorway road works that work on an average speed system I use my cruise control by setting at 1mph below the maximum and so far it has worked.

London

It is annoying when you consider a) not all speedos are 100% accurate, b) you’d have to glance at the speedo every couple off seconds to ensure you were constantly maintaining the corrrect speed, which takes your attention off the road too much. In this instance I feel a llitle leeway could have been allowed – hardly a ’ boy racer’ clocking 100+!

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

Do tell us more – why was it “not an experience I ever want to go through again.” Was that the instruction, the messages they were putting across or the people on the course?

ESW
Lincolnshire

I thought I might just tell you all of my experience with this. After well over 50 years of driving I had a letter to say I had been clocked at 32 mph in a 30mph area. I know many people are of the opinion that they allow you 10% but in my area that is not the case.
I have always been the most careful driver and up to this never had a problem.
The course itself is instead of a fine and 3 points on your licence and to me it was interesting but not an experience I ever want
to go through again.
I have taught many people over the years and with today’s technology in cars I know many find it frustrating and sometimes even dangerous to keep looking down at the speedometer rather than keeping your eyes on the road. It is difficult to keep a modern car down to 30mph.
At the end of the day I broke the law and took the consequences and it will never happen again.
Just thought I would share that with all my senior friends on here.

9 Posts
Sign in to add your message