Welcome to our forums.

The joys of retirement - what are yours?

And you are certainly making the most of it Alan – Way to go!!!

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

When I retired in 2008 at 64 years of age I really was despondent and didn’t know what I was going to do having led an active life since starting work at 15 years of age. Day time television and becoming a regular at the local pub were not for me so I started writing travel related articles and joined up with the main Silver Travel Advisor team. I had always loved cruise ships and at this time had completed between 40 and 50 cruises. I started visiting cruise ships and writing about them which led to other media and PR companies contacting me. This resulted in my being invited to go on cruises and write about them and this then spread to general tourist journalism. I applied to become a member of a respected travel writers association and was accepted which led to further trips and writings. I also began writing about the countries where I am lucky enough to have holiday homes which led to my being in contact with their tourist departments and further work. Last year I spent about five and a half months out of the country on press trips and cruises and this year is even more. Retirement is about starting a new life, creating a new future, an opportunity to have a new beginning and start a new adventure. I have met some great writers and journalists on my trips who have helped and inspired me. At 71 years old I am loving life. Retirement is what you make it.

London

A
Just doing what I want, when I want, no matter how trivial or, to others, boring. Only downside is, still have the dreaded housework!

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

Reading a book for an hour (with a cup of tea) before I even get up in the mornings.

And travelling – where I want, and when I want!

I agree with everything everyone has said. I love not having to plan anything and doing things on the spur of the moment. Only thing I miss is my old salary!

Wigan

I have now been retired almost 18 months.

My joys are:-

1. Having dinner parties and BBQs mid week (once we got used to it!!)

2. Being able to have as many holidays as we want

3. Being spontaneous and going to places on the spur of the moment

4. Being able to visit places when they are quieter during the week although sometimes there are too many silvers there with the same idea!!!!!

5. Do what I want when I want or not at all

6. No more Sunday night dread of work

7. No more disappointment if the weekend weather is bad

8. Not having a boss! I am the boss! Hahaha!

Bexhill on Sea, East Sussex

Possibly just as simple as being able to wake up and think “what do we want to do today”!

Essex UK

Not just not bothering about the day of the week, but also what time you eat, and what to have at each meal.
My favourite has been seeing a bargain break if you can go in under a week’s time!

Nr. Seascale, Cumbria

I’m newly retired after 38 years of work and absolutely loving it. Every morning I wake up thinking "isn’t it great to be retired’. So, as I have the time, I decided to put together my top ten reasons why I’m enjoying it so much.

1. Not having to set the alarm clock and then pondering – breakfast or shower first.

2. Not caring whether the tube drivers go on strike because I don’t need to commute into central London.

3. Being able to eat breakfast, lunch and dinner in the garden when it’s sunny.

4. Not having to calculate how many days annual leave I’ll need for a holiday before I book it.

5. Having the time to volunteer in my local community.

6. Shopping locally and daily for fresh food.

7. Having a ‘Sunday roast’ on Wednesday.

8. Being able to practice my piano for an hour a day.

9. Not knowing, or needing to know, what day of the week it is.

10. Having time to write Silver Travel Reviews!

What is on your list?

9 Posts
Sign in to add your message