Welcome to our forums.

Am I the only person here into cricket?

Indeed it has, Steve … but somehow I keep on hoping!

JoCarroll wrote:

now we just need them to do it all the time!

and there you have it. Read back to our posts many, many weeks ago & we said that inconsistency was going to bite them…..& it has.

Essex UK

DavidT wrote:

England losing to the Aussies is even worse when you have a brother who has lived over there for 30 years and likes to rub it in whenever he can!

I know that feeling David. Have friends of nearly 60 years who emigrated to Perth 40 years ago and love to rub it in, not just about cricket but sometimes Rugby although the boots been on the other foot with that recently.

London

England losing to the Aussies is even worse when you have a brother who has lived over there for 30 years and likes to rub it in whenever he can!

Oh well … but (clutching straws here) they’ve shown what they can do … now we just need them to do it all the time!

coolonespa wrote:

Our kids are now being brought up in an environment where praising a winner is frowned upon, there are no Gold, Silver, bronze certificates anymore because we don’t want to upset or alienate the kid that comes last.

Your probably right. What happens when they leave school, get into the real world, where even getting a job is about being competitive.

London

Sadly a dream was all it was and lasted for just one sleep. On the bright side this looked like an innings defeat & whilst 120 runs is a fair margin, its better than it could have been. My main worry about England is their mental strength. They played really well when it looked like they had no chance, so nothing to loose, but as soon as they were in with a chance (albeit remote) they fell to pieces.

@Fossil wrote:

How is it that with a population of about a third of ours they manage to be top in so many sports!!!

I wonder if its all about attitude Alan. Our kids are now being brought up in an environment where praising a winner is frowned upon, there are no Gold, Silver, bronze certificates anymore because we don’t want to upset or alienate the kid that comes last. Are we training generations that are happy to take part but don’t really have that will to win. I bet its different in Aus, they seem to thrive in a competitive environment.

Essex UK

Dreaming is fine, Steve!

Well if they win this I may have to eat my words of a few posts back. Highly unlikely though but we can dream.

Essex UK

@Fossil – maybe the way they organise or invest in sport is different. And they do have kinder weather.

Meanwhile, things are getting a bit nail-bitey in Adelaide.

693 Posts
Sign in to add your message