Welcome to our forums.

Caterpillars and slugs!!

I have a very “crunchy” patio when I venture out on my snail carpet. One thing I’ve noticed is that they’re very tidy cannibals. Tread on one and its mates come to munch it up.

Wakefield, West Yorks.

I frequently salt my back door step because the blighters feel free to hang on the door then drop inside on to the floor when the door’s left open.
This comes in handy when I want to make trips outside- such as last week’s Perseid meteors- with out hearing a crunch, or sliding on slug….

Nr. Seascale, Cumbria

Well…just what do you think of this, the other day discovered a snail had blithely crossed over the electrostatic copper strip without so much as a by your leave, if you please, and was actively munching on the coffee grounds I’d placed in my tubs as a deterrent…

Top tip : Slug and snail traps don’t work.

Wakefield, West Yorks.

Our local bird scarer landed on my roof today, graced as I was with a visit from Her local Highness: our resident Peregrine Falcon. Beautiful and awesome creature (basically eats ANYTHING that flies) …impassively stared me out for ages as if I myself would be quite adequate for her lunch…one of those Ted Hughes /Bryan Ferry “Avalon” moments…

Last Edited by Grey-Wolf at 24 Jul 12:15
Wakefield, West Yorks.

Thanks GW and Jo for your advice, the situation remains the same since my first post ( I was lizzie7 then). I will try the copper tape fromp poundland, it might do the trick, feeding the birds might be a bit of an issue Jo, as we now have a cat (our daughter’s cat has been rehomed with us) and he likes nothing more than chasing birds. Having a Cat however, has helped us sort another card dilemma which I posted on here about some time ago – the abundance of cats coming into our garden, doing their business, scratching the garden up. Our Cat has sorted that issue out, only one or two dare venture in when they think he is not watching!

North Northumberland

In theory – feed the birds and they will hang about and eat caterpillars and slugs for afters.

Poundland have a come up with a new product…self adhesive copper tape which you tape around the circumference of your containers and tubs (£1 for 2 metres). The copper tape delivers a shocking (though not lethal) electrostatic charge on contact with the highly conductive underbelly slugs or snails, deterring them from progressing further up/into the container. Just applied some today. Those clever boffins who invented it have made it change from shiny copper colour to verdigris over time so it camouflages itself.

Wakefield, West Yorks.

Saucers of beer.

Wakefield, West Yorks.

I am looking on advice on how to deal with them humanely!. Our garden is getting a bit over run with them!

Northumberland
9 Posts
Sign in to add your message