The Silver Travel Forum – important update

Our Forum is now only available to read rather than to contribute to discussions. You can still access all threads, but you will no longer be able to add your own comments. If you would like to write a review instead, please click here.

If you have any questions, please contact [email protected]

Bumblebees and butterflies

UK Big Butterfly count is back for summer (19th July – 11th August). 15 minutes is all it takes to send in a head count, free downloadable butterfly identifier chart and app available.

http://www.butterfly-conservation.org

Last Edited by Grey-Wolf at 20 Jul 21:48
Wakefield, West Yorks.

…makes you think who’s scratching/stinging who’s back, so to speak. Sorry, meant to put that in original post…is there an edit facility on this new fangled gizmo ??!!

Wakefield, West Yorks.

Well as I recall it was a Tory minister who was presented the previous petition containing thousands of names and duly ignored it.

Wakefield, West Yorks.

Being pedantic GW, it’s not the ‘toxic Tories’ it is the even more toxic pesticide companies who want the ban lifted so they can start selling neonicotinoid pesticides again. The Tories have to decide whether to uphold the ban or lift it.

Never the less, the more people who sign the better it may be for our beleaguered bees.

ESW
Lincolnshire

Those toxic Tories are at it again…please sign:

https://secure.38degrees.org.uk/keep-bee-pesticides-ban
Wakefield, West Yorks.

There was a small white butterfly on a branch, and an orange tip was constantly flying down to see if they could mate….as the wild life books say- at this time of the year it’s all about food and sex….

Last Edited by unknown at 14 Mar 18:42
Nr. Seascale, Cumbria

Interesting website Michael. Mine was most definitely a Bumblebee, and I can’t imagine it was looking for somewhere to hibernate at this time of year, so it was probably looking for somewhere to plant it’s eggs as the website suggests…

Bedford
Just been watching a huge Bumble bee hovering around in the garden, it seemed to be more interested in the lawn than anywhere else.

Perhaps because it lives there.

See Tawny Mining Bee on this page.

Scunthorpe

There are a lot of flies around, especially over the lawn, but I’m not sure if they are the biting sort or not. Seen from inside this evening, the sunlight was turning their wings golden. They did look beautiful.

ESW
Lincolnshire
95 Posts
Sign in to add your message