Welcome to our forums.

What are you up to today.......

My excitement knows no bounds. I have just returned from having a Menu del Dia with 2 friends. Everyone
wore masks unless actually eating, there were only half a dozen tables in use, spread far apart, within a huge
area, but oh, the joy, after 3 months since we last went out, of eating a meal prepared by someone else.

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

@applegroupie wrote:

Next year perhaps!

Hopefully so, but you could have a wee dram tonight to pretend your were there

Essex UK

If my coach trip to Scotland hadn’t been cancelled, I should be in Aberfeldy today doing a tour of Dewar’s distillery. Next year perhaps!

Oh, the excitement. I’ve been to the hairdressers!

Afternoon drink in the sun with the rest of the close, self distancing as we did on VE Day.

London

Fossil wrote:

Fossil
18:29 21-May-20

@Cruzeroqueen1 when we purchased the apartment in 1984 there was a man in the bank who spoke English but one day when I went in he wasn’t there and I didn’t speak Spanish. A German lady very kindly translated my English into Spanish and visa versa. I was so embarrassed that on arrival home I signed up for a 3 year Cambs. University course in Spanish at night school. I have forgotten most of it but still have the books so when I get stuck I have them for reference. Times have changed now and whenever I am in Spain people speak English. Now it’s trying to learn Bulgarian and Arabic but the alphabets especially the Arabic are a step too fa

When we first came over here, our local Town Hall offered free Spanish lessons, so I attended for 3 years,
until the course was then geared to exam level. So I can get by in general, although our particular area has
a terrible dialect. I liken it to a cross between Brummie and Glaswegian. When we went on a school trip to
Cordoba and Sevilla, our guide spoke ‘proper’ Castilian, s o I could understand her perfectly. But to be really
fluent in a language you have to use it every day, and as welive out in the sticks with no near neighbours I
don’t get that chance.

I’m afraid I wouldn’t even attempt a language that didn’t use our alphabet, so well done you for making the effort..

Last Edited by Cruzeroqueen1 at 22 May 10:42

@Cruzeroqueen1 when we purchased the apartment in 1984 there was a man in the bank who spoke English but one day when I went in he wasn’t there and I didn’t speak Spanish. A German lady very kindly translated my English into Spanish and visa versa. I was so embarrassed that on arrival home I signed up for a 3 year Cambs. University course in Spanish at night school. I have forgotten most of it but still have the books so when I get stuck I have them for reference. Times have changed now and whenever I am in Spain people speak English. Now it’s trying to learn Bulgarian and Arabic but the alphabets especially the Arabic are a step too far.

London

Fossil wrote:

ou are @cruzeroqueen1 just for you.

Hice un viaje al jardín, se sentó en sillas reclinables bajo una sombrilla y disfrutó de una botella de Sancerré mientras contemplaba la belleza de las flores.
21 years since I sold up in Spain.

Brilliant, Alan – better than I would have put it because I still can’t get my head around the subjunctive!

Here you are @cruzeroqueen1 just for you.

Hice un viaje al jardín, se sentó en sillas reclinables bajo una sombrilla y disfrutó de una botella de Sancerré mientras contemplaba la belleza de las flores.
21 years since I sold up in Spain.

London

coolonespa wrote:

Linda & I are going on holiday today. In a few mins we will be taking the first flight out to our garden!

Loungers, sun cream, books, music, ice creams, wine etc. Will all be used to create that holiday feeling. Phones off the hook, the world can look after itself for the day…..we’re

Enjoy your break, Steve – don’t forget to send me a postcard and bring be back a stick of rock, please!
I’m catching up on ironing – which has been stuck in a cupboard for a couple of months. Where we live
there is always a breeze, so most items dry wrinkle-free. And with only going out for a couple of hours
once a week, I’ve hardly worn much. And now summer is here, I’ll be wearing even less. (I know, TMI!)

3572 Posts
Sign in to add your message