Welcome to our forums.

Did you know - Facts

Over the average lifetime you will meet around 80,000 people in total.

Wakefield, West Yorks.

Marks & Spencer continuously manufacture 2 million Christmas cakes throughout the year, 10,800 per day, 50 per minute, using 16 ingredients to mature for a minimum of 6 months, including 440 tons of Polish and French cherries and 80,000 bottles of Brandy, sourced from Somerset apples, enrobed in Marzipan sourced from bitter Moroccan and sweet American almonds, a conveyor belt of 44 workers is dedicated to this one task alone. Royal icing and decorations complete the cake at a rate of 8 cakes per minute. A total staff of 800 people are used to mix, bake, and decorate the cakes from start to finish, taking a total of just under 3 hours to make which are loaded onto lorries for distribution at a rate of 3,000 Christmas cakes per wagon.

Last Edited by Grey-Wolf at 16 Dec 21:01
Wakefield, West Yorks.

OH BARROW MAN !
YOU JUST MADE MY DAY,I HAVE JUST BEEN GIVEN THE LATEST COLD WHICH IS DOING THE ROUNDS , COUNTING THE SNEEZES , EACH ONE NOW A TRAUMA !
DID YOU KNOW GOATS CAN RECOGNISE A SMILE AND THINK THEN,THAT THEY CAN TRUST YOU.
NOT THE SAME WITH HUMANS THOUGH , ANYONE KNOW WHY HUMANS CAN BE SO DEVIOUS ,SELF PRESERVATION OR GREED , OR TOO MANY OF US ON EARTH
I AM ABOUT TO SNEEZE AGAIN , MAYBE ONE LESS AFTER THAT !

WEST SCOTLAND

1 in 10 Britons send a Xmas card to their pet.

Wakefield, West Yorks.

The average smartphone is comprised of 20% ceramics, 40% plastics, 40% metals including 0.034g of gold, 0,034g of silver, 0.15g of palladium, 25g of aluminium, 15g of copper and a 1000th of a gram of platinum. 30-40 recycled mobile phones = 1g of gold.

With soaring demand for mobile and smart phones mining of precious metals is a having a direct correlation on the habitat of the Congo and Zambian Gorilla.

It is estimated that in Germany alone there are 8,000 tons of precious metals lying in hoarded, unused, unrecycled phones. Natural global sources of gold are expected to run out entirely by 2030. In China an estimated 9 tons of gold, 15 tons of silver and 31,000 tons of copper will be out of circulation due to 0.35 trillion unrecycled phones.

To recycle your old phone and also help the gorillas (of which only 4,000 now remain), 700 Carphone Warehouse outlets have eco-phone recycling bins.

Last Edited by Grey-Wolf at 06 Dec 15:48
Wakefield, West Yorks.

7,400 people slept rough on the streets of London between 2017-2018. A 169% increase since the year 2000.

Wakefield, West Yorks.

Festive Facts:

Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver. The first British Christmas cards were introduced by Hallmark in 1915. Christmas trees are usually grown for 15 years before being sold. Charles Dickens wrote “A Christmas Carol” in under 6 weeks. The Statue of Liberty was gifted to the USA by the French on Christmas day 1886. Jingle Bells was composed by James Pierpont and was originally intended for Thanksgiving. The Beatles hold top spot for No.1 Xmas chart releases, hitting number one in 1963, 1964, 1965 and 1967.

For a Christmas to be officially classified as white , a single snowflake must fall on the rooftop of Met Office HQ in London on 25th December.

Last Edited by Grey-Wolf at 05 Dec 14:16
Wakefield, West Yorks.

Paris is home to 2 million people and 4 million rats.

Wakefield, West Yorks.

There are approximately 36 million people in the world who are millionaires. Three times more than in the year 2000. The concentrated wealth of the very top tier of this group amounts to 50.1% of entire global wealth or $140 trillion. At the other end of the scale, the world’s poorest 3.5 billion adults have assets of less than £7,600 amounting to 70% of the world’s working population and just 2.7% of global wealth.

Wakefield, West Yorks.

Over the average lifetime you will spend 33% of it sleeping, 20% eating and household duties, 10% travelling and waiting, 10% using TV/internet, and 7% bathroom activities, bringing to a grand total of 80% of your entire life. What you do in the remaining 20% is largely up to you.

Last Edited by Grey-Wolf at 29 Nov 16:22
Wakefield, West Yorks.
6038 Posts
Sign in to add your message

Back to Top