The Silver Travel Forum – important update

Our Forum is now only available to read rather than to contribute to discussions. You can still access all threads, but you will no longer be able to add your own comments. If you would like to write a review instead, please click here.

If you have any questions, please contact [email protected]

Latest phone scams...

• URGENT WARNING TALE OF WOE FOR NEW COMPUTER/ PHONE SCAM

Just in time for Christmas, a friend of mine had his entire bank account emptied last week via a very convincing phone scammer claiming to be Talk Talk internet providers. Having broadband problems with his PC he had phoned his provider, the real Talk Talk who had placed him in a call back queue. The next day or so he received a call back, on the “having problems with your PC, Sir ?” lines, a very extended dialogue ensued which talked him through his computer problems and went on for over an hour with him granting auto access to his computer to the “expert” voice on the phone, who proceeded to reassuringly access every file on his system, including his bank details.

The next day he found his bank balance to be reduced to £1. He phoned Talk Talk next day who informed him he was still in the queue and he hadn’t had his call back yet, so it wasn’t them. Very convincing apparently, including background “office” sounds. Friend naturally shut down his bank account that day but the bank said they would not be reimbursing anything and washed their hands of it. He’s reported it to the Action Fraud site but doesn’t hold out much hope of seeing his money again.

BE WARNED: SO-CALLED “BROADBAND PROVIDERS” MAY WELL NOT BE WHAT THEY SEEM OR SOUND.
Last Edited by Grey-Wolf at 24 Dec 21:52
Wakefield, West Yorks.

jedthefrog wrote:

When you hear the sleepy reply, say you’d like to discuss PPI/accident/solar panels/conduct a survey etc.

Now that is an idea I like – as long as they don’t take you up on the offer….

Actually you can have quite a bit of fun winding up some of the callers.

ESW
Lincolnshire

Some of these calls are made from a ’phone in their home. I always write down these numbers.

Then, when whiling away the quiet hours during the night in an airport waiting for my flight to be called or whatever, I give THEM a ring.

When you hear the sleepy reply, say you’d like to discuss PPI/accident/solar panels/conduct a survey etc.

Karma.

northants

Barrowman wrote:

Fraudsters pretending to be from HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) are expanding their unscrupulous activities

NOTE: if you fill out a self assessment tax return, your chosen bank account for return of any overpayment is shown on the form when you complete it, so no need to ever give an hmrc customs official your bank details.

if you pay tax direct from wages, then overpayment will be returned through that system, so no need to ever give an hmrc customs official your bank details.

so, at least in theory, no need to ever get caught out on this scam.

Did you know that companies like Saga and the AA can obtain your phone number when you use their insurance websites, even if you are just doing a price comparison and don’t enter any information apart from make and age of car. I’ve looked at their websites on two occasions and each time had a follow up call about ten minutes later. When I queried how they had got my number, they said you looked at our website.

The pre-recorded boiler one is irritating as I would just like to tell a human being that I don’t have a boiler…..

It’s not a ’phone scam (yet), but the “Nigerian begging letters” are now reappearing as e-mails.

Thought I’d bump this up with another scam

Fraudsters pretending to be from HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) are expanding their unscrupulous activities after years of sending out fake emails to now calling unsuspecting consumers – and some are duping victims into paying them in gift cards and vouchers. But there are ways you can fight back against these phoneys.

Read the full fact from Money Saving Expert Here

Bedford

And me……

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

We got the fake Amazon scam email yesterday.

ESW
Lincolnshire

I see the fake Amazon scam email is doing the rounds again today. Got one today apparently from "Bank Support" about an Amazon order, quoting an order number (which was not one of mine). Needless to say it got put into spam then deleted!

Northumberland

Hello. Hello. Hello.

What do you think of this one then ? Geezer phones you up offering to incept a system which will block all nuisance calls from both inland and overseas. It will cost you a mere £1.90 per month…all he wants are your bank details…

Wakefield, West Yorks.
102 Posts
Sign in to add your message