Welcome to our forums.

What are you reading ?

New NEXUS magazine out today, top features: UFO document leak of the century, bio hazards of lectins in foods, the positive effect of music on your blood, shoddy science behind shaken baby syndrome, relevance of past lives, death of the US dollar and paranormal experiences of nurses in hospitals. 88 pages of full colour alternative news stories and all for less than a fiver !

http://www.nexusmagazine.com

Wakefield, West Yorks.

“The Tutankhamun Deception” (non fiction) by Gerald O’Farrell, something of an expose this, as the author examines the activities of Howard Carter and Lord Carnarvon as being less than transparent, asserting that they had discovered Tutankhamen’s tomb as early as 1914 and covertly helped themselves to 80% of its vast treasures before going public with the ‘discovery’ and what remained ( and subsequently botchedly re-arranged for display) in 1923. Besides vast treasures, this included missing papyrus scrolls which charted the true identity of Akenhaten and Tutankhamun as being linked to Biblical characters. The subsequent “mummy’s curse” being little more than a spin doctored series of pre-arranged murders upon those who knew too much. Reads like a detective thriller, and makes Carter and Carnarovon appear as a cross between Ronald Biggs and PJ Barnum. The book is thoroughly researched, exposing many of the anomalies in the announced discovery which was presented to the world, and if true possibly the biggest heist and deception ever to be witnessed in the world of archaeology. If you’ve ever visited the Valley of the Kings for yourself, this book may well change your entire outlook.

Last Edited by Grey-Wolf at 24 Jul 13:18
Wakefield, West Yorks.

Fiction-fantasy – Lord of the rings

“A Forest of Flowers” by Ken Saro-Wiwa (short stories). I expect nobody has heard of Ken Saro-Wiwa before and neither had I till today, chancing upon this in a charity shop, with a rather telling leaflet which somebody had left inside the book, which reads…:

Shell in Nigeria

Sunday 10th November is the anniversary of the execution in Nigeria of Ken Saro-Wiwa and eight others following their trial on charges relating to the murder of four Ogoni chiefs. Shell, as a major operator in Nigeria has been accused of failing to use its influence to prevent the executions, and also of creating environmental devastation in Ogoniland…

The leaflet concludes with an invitation to contact Shell Customer Service centre should readers be concerned :

http://www.shellnigeria.com

Ken Saro-Wiwa presented stories of the Dukana district of Nigeria with a distinctive environmentalist tone, exposing the social mores, hypocrisies, poverty, squalor, corruption and superstitions prevalent in this part of the country and in particular, his outspoken distrust of multinationals. His Wikipedia entry is especially interesting : prolific writer of poetry and screenplays, which was to end abruptly in 1995.

Wakefield, West Yorks.

applegroupie wrote:

pplegroupie
14:14 26-Jun-19

Cruzeroqueen1 wrote:

I’m a big fan of Peter James’ Roy Grace series, also.

According to Peter James, his Roy Grace is supposed to be a Daniel Craig lookalike!

I am still trying to come to terms with Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher in the movies. Lee Child’s photo on the jacket of his books looks more like Jack Reacher than Tom Cruise.

Certainly with you on that, @applegroupie – if every there was a case of miscasting! Reacher is supposed to be about 6.5" and builit like the proverbial brick outhouse, with a powerful ‘presence’. Cruise is small, and ‘soft’ looking. Haven’t seen the film so he may have acted well in it, but……………..

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

Non-fiction, currently reading Michelle Obama’s Becoming. Not very political, focusing more on her upbringing. Interesting stuff.

Cruzeroqueen1 wrote:

According to Peter James, his Roy Grace is supposed to be a Daniel Craig lookalike!

I am still trying to come to terms with Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher in the movies. Lee Child’s photo on the jacket of his books looks more like Jack Reacher than Tom Cruise.

applegroupie wrote:

applegroupie
17:55 24-Jun-19

I am halfway through reading THE BODY IN THE MARSH by Nick Louth. Never read anything by him before but I liked the blurb on the back page:

“A woman goes missing – and for the detective, this it’s personal.

Criminologist Martin Knight lives a gilded life. But then his wife Liz disappears. There is no good explanation and Martin goes on the run. To make things worse, Liz is the ex-girlfriend of DCI Craig Gillard, who finds himself drawn into the investigation.

Is this a missing person case or something more sinister? How dark can the truth be?

I am a fan of Peter James’s detective novels and DCI Craig Gillard in this book reminds me of Peter James’s Roy Grace a lot!

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

" The President’s Hat" by Antoine Laurain.

Planning a trip to France?…Then I’d recommend this as holiday reading.

Set mainly in Paris in the 1980s, it relates the adventures of the hat of the president, Francois Mitterand.
First stolen, then lost, mislaid, it passes from one character to the next, before eventually being returned to its owner.
As it comes into the possession of each of its temporary owners, the magic of the hat prompts them to change their lives.
Full of gentle satirical humour and Gallic whimsy, reminiscent of Jacques Tati’s classic films.
Lots of interesting commentary too on French politics and contemporary culture in the 80s.

Gullane

I am halfway through reading THE BODY IN THE MARSH by Nick Louth. Never read anything by him before but I liked the blurb on the back page:

“A woman goes missing – and for the detective, this it’s personal.

Criminologist Martin Knight lives a gilded life. But then his wife Liz disappears. There is no good explanation and Martin goes on the run. To make things worse, Liz is the ex-girlfriend of DCI Craig Gillard, who finds himself drawn into the investigation.

Is this a missing person case or something more sinister? How dark can the truth be?

I am a fan of Peter James’s detective novels and DCI Craig Gillard in this book reminds me of Peter James’s Roy Grace a lot!

Sign in to add your message