Welcome to our forums.

What are you reading?

@Cruzeroqueen1 and this was the episode that put me onto Father Ray Kelly.

London

Will do Gill.

London

Fossil wrote:

Fossil
12:01 04-Jan-20

In 2018 Father Ray Kelly, an Irish priest, entered Britains Got Talent and came 4th. I loved the song he sang on his last appearance as did the audience. I was inspired by his rendition of Leonard Cohens song Hallelujah he sang at a wedding ceremony he was performing in 2014, it went viral and had over 72 million views on YouTube so when I found he had written a book I bought it.

It arrived this morning simply called Hallelujah memoirs of a singing priest…….

I remember that version, and thought that it was brilliant – a beautiful song, beautifully sung with real feeling.
Please let us know how you enjoy the book.

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

In 2018 Father Ray Kelly, an Irish priest, entered Britains Got Talent and came 4th. I loved the song he sang on his last appearance as did the audience. I was inspired by his rendition of Leonard Cohens song Hallelujah he sang at a wedding ceremony he was performing in 2014, it went viral and had over 72 million views on YouTube so when I found he had written a book I bought it.

It arrived this morning simply called Hallelujah memoirs of a singing priest…….

London

Silent Scream by Karen Rose – interesting look into the mind of a psycopath, and how one wrong act can escalate.

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

Another famous writer, J.R.R. Tolkien, was born today in 1892

https://www.tolkiensociety.org/author/biography/

Essex UK

@Grey-Wolf wrote:

Early Asimov” volumes 1-3

It was the 100th anniversary of Isaac Asimov yesterday. One of the mot prolific Sci Fi writers of our era

https://www.biography.com/writer/isaac-asimov

Essex UK

“Christmas At Cold Comfort Farm & Other stories” by Stella Gibbons (published 1940) . Penguin books made a special Christmas dust jacket re-issue of this for the festive season. It’s one of those books you buy for someone else (probably much older than you) as a last minute gift or find it in a charity shop as I did and mothball it till Xmas. Twee quaint tales of a Middle England long gone, syrupy nostalgia reminiscent of the Ladybird books Janet & John type families ( who I have never met in my entire life). A tad contrived, these stories nonetheless bring back the glow of Christmas of yesteryore and its simple glittery pleasures of country walks, farmsteads, Christmas trees, candles, jolly japes, rustic humour of simple country folk, holly berries, baubles and bright new pennies in an age pre-internet, pre-TV, pre-soap operas and celebrities where drama arrives with the sight of the odd car on the road. A sort of hip hip hurrah Enid Blyton for grown ups.

Last Edited by Grey-Wolf at 27 Dec 17:52
Wakefield, West Yorks.

This year’s Christmas “Radio Times” features a specially commissioned short ghost story by the maestro of the form Susan Hill to get you in the mood, “The Quiet House” appears on page 38. Also a dramatisation of Susan Hill’s ghost story novel “The Small Hand” is broadcast at 9pm on Channel 5 on Boxing Day, while tonight, more spookies (Christmas Eve) BBC4 has a showing of “Martin’s Close” at 10pm. a short story classic by M.R. James based around a 1684 Hanging Trial where ghostly elements are involved followed at 10.30pm by the other James author (Henry) providing the chills with a 1920’s adaptation of his ghoulish “The Turn of The Screw”

Wakefield, West Yorks.

“What Becomes…” short story collection by A.L. Kennedy. This author’s fifth story collection comprising of a dozen tales completing the end of the title sentence famous song title “…of the broken hearted” charts perfectly ordinary people whose lives for whatever reason have fallen apart, often under mundane, happenstance or even quirky circumstances. A lot of it on the edge, subliminal interior monologues which include sadness, violence, terror and a considerable amount of dark humour. A battered ex husband sits in a cinema alone, a woman plots her life path via her dental experiences, a lady from broken parenting seeks solace in water fetishism. Colour is given to the sketches of their lives which have buckled under the weight of the great unsaid, the vast unseen as the world spins on regardless in these very naturalistic portraits of everyday folk as the canopies of their past lives are raised. Something akin to a prose version of Alan Bennett’s “Talking Heads”.

This was a throw-out copy from my local library who seem to be having them ( book sales) on a regular basis now, tables heaving under barely borrowed copies of all genres from crime thrillers, computer guides to historical fiction and horror, help yourself for 50p. What is the world coming to ?

Wakefield, West Yorks.
Sign in to add your message